Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential Jaco and Flecktones?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I'm going to get a Jaco CD and a Flecktones CD. What are the best examples of their work?

2. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Granted, this is just my opinion, but for the Flecktones, I really like Live Art.

It has a nice blend of their tunes, and also has a solo from Vic.

For Jaco, the only CD I've heard from him, and is one of his most acclaimed from what I gather is his self titled 'Jaco Pastorius' album.

It should be rather cheap, but it contains several tunes that have influences many players.

Hope that helps.
    JB

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think you can't get more Jacoed (is it a word?) than just listening to his first album. You'll be an addict after it... but the overall vibe and creativeness... it's just awesome. I really love it and won't ever bother not listening to it on a regular basis.

4. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I totally agree.

Just to add another Flecktones one: for some reason Three Flew Over the Cookoo's (sp?) Nest has a special place in my heart. I love 'Until We Meet Again'. That is a very nice, tasteful tune. I think this was their first album minus Howard. Not sure, though.

JB

5. That album is ok however Bob Moses himself stated that the album didn't reflect the energy and passion that the live trio had. It is subdued and lethargic considering the monsters involved making the album. I would not recommend Bright Size Life for a Jaco newbie...

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    For Jaco, I would suggest Punk Jazz, His first CD is good, but I don't think it gives a good picture of his overall music. The Punk jazz compilation will give you a view of Jaco's whole career. I don't think the debut album shows much or any of his big band style.

For Bela Fleck it's a harder choice. Live art is a great one. As well as Live at the quick. But the CD that got me started on Bela Fleck was greatest hits of the 20th century. This album has a more polished sound. And you get a little Howard levy too. It's more limited in number of tracks than the those other too, but it's a good starting place that won't overwhelm you.

7. Word of Mouth is good jaco album and any of the albums he did with Joni Mitchell.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I also agree about that "first disc energy".
    Couple years ago, I went on a "1st album kick" of some of the Rock/Funk bands I liked way back when; stuff I never picked up on the first time around...like the debut discs by Yes (totally different than their Classic period), EW&F (they sound closer to Sly & The Family Stone vs. the polished Pop of their 'glory' years), Alice Cooper (more Punk & rawer than the Ezrin-produced stuff), etc.
    As a kid/young record consumer, I seemed to buy current albums over earlier releases.

Then there's the energy of the LIVE disc.
    So, Live Art would be good + Jaco's Twins or 30th Birthday Party Concert or even Weather Report's Live And Unreleased.
    ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm not 100% with you (like it matters). ;)
    Jaco's debut was supposed to be a showcase of what he was about...
    There's Funk/R&B("Come On, Come Over")
    There's Bebop("Donna Lee")
    There's Latin("Used To Be A Cha-Cha")
    There's Orchestral/Jaco "The Composer"("Continuum")
    There's 'Avant Garde'("Donna Lee")
    Etc...

He probably didn't warrant a Big Band thing on there 'cause Sony didn't want to spend but so much on a "Bass" album by a then yet-unknown.
    His next album(Word Of Mouth) made up for it, though.
    ;)

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Jaco has been well spoken for, so I'll leace it...

Flecktones- it depends on if you want more of their original sound or their more modern sound. For their older stuff, I'd recommend either their self-titled album (some great tunes!) or "Live at the Quick". For their newer stuff, Ten from Little worlds is great smapler of the 3 disc Little Worlds, and gives a good full plate.

11. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Well thats true and there's no denying that it's a great album, but IMHO, The punk jazz album has all that and more. I just think that for someone who is looking for a first album that it is important for them to get a great mix of the artists work. Then if they decide they like the artist, they'll know where to go next, via buying the albums that contain their favorite songs from the compilation.

I for example am a big fan of the word of mouth stuff. If my first disc would have been the debut, then it would have taken me a lot longer to find that out.

Don't forget that the punk jazz album also has some tracks form his work with other artists/groups like weather report, pat metheny, and joni mitchell.

Punk Jazz was my first Jaco album, and it got me hooked, and pointed me to the exact albums I wanted to get next. So thats why it gets my recomendation.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Punk Jazz was almost my last Jaco album
    (I just picked up Live In Budokan).
    ;)

13. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well I guess we just go about buying music differently. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :D

14. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    For Jaco I would say the self-titled one.

For the Flecktones I like Flight of the Cosmic Hippo and Live at the Quick. I think I like there earlier stuff with Howard Levy a little better, but Live at the Quick is awesome.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I started buying Jaco albums in '76...probably before your time.
    Though I do prefer albums vs. 'compilations' or 'greatest hits'(unless there's no other alternative...like I just picked up The Collection by Rare Earth).
    ;)

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I like Jaco's early Weather Report stuff, like "Black Market" and "Heavy Weather". The latter in particular has some especially beautiful parts in it. And Wayne Shorter is the absolute Man when it comes to complementing Jaco's parts (or vice versa). :)

I also like "UFO TOFU" a lot. Vic's got some serious groove goin' on some of that stuff. :D

17. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.