Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential Jazz Albums of 2001

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

CD Now, for what it is worth, has a list of ten essential jazz albums of 2001. I listened to samples from each and found it was a very interesting and informative use of my time. Most music lists are controversial, as this one will be, but I hope it will spark discussion among the jazz aficionados here at TalkBass.

1. Keith Jarrett: "Inside Out" --Jarret's trio includes bassist Gary Peacock and drummer Jack DeJohnette.

2. Chucho Valdes: "Solo-Live in New York"--Afro-Cuban jazz pianist, no accompaniment.

3. Dave Holland Quintet: "Not For Nothin"

4. Ken Barron and Regina Carter": "Freefall"--this is very unusual. Just the two on jazz piano and violin. They are very accomplished musicians playing really technical lines. It isn't what I enjoy, but I really do appreciate the difficulty of the task they set for themselves and they are amazing.

5. Joe Lovano: "Flights of Fancy"--One of my favorites of this list.

6. Gonzalo Rubalcalba: "Supernova"--Another Afro-Cuban jazz album. Some really interesting piano lines here.

7. Chris Potter: "Gratitude"

8. Jason Moran: "Black Stars"--avant garde jazz

9. Jimmy Smith: "Dot Com Blues"--organ jazz closer to blues. Of course I love it.

10. Michael Brecker: "The Nearness of You: The Ballad Book"--Brecker teams with Pat Metheney, Herbie Hancock, Charlie Haden, and Jack DeJohnette. My very favorite album of the ten listed here.

What jazz CDs of 2001 would you folks add? I would add Diana Krall's "The Look of Love", then duck and run for cover. I do really enjoy that album, but I know jazz purists do not think she is "hard core" enough to ever be on a list such as the one above.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have 3 of those on your list-
    The Holland & Potter cds(somewhat related 'cause Potter plays in the DH 5-tet) & Jason Moran's Black Stars(any chance to hear Sam Rivers is "OK with me...).

I would add-
    Painter's Spring-William Parker Trio
    Riding The Nuclear Tiger-Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel
    ...both are bass-led releases.

3. I thought Philadelphia Experiment's self-titled album was a great jazz/funk album, I'm surprised it's not on there.

4. Boplicity

Cruise4, with that great endorsement, I will use any gift certificate I get for Christmas to buy Brecker's album.

5. Boplicity

No, I don't have any of the list of ten. I went to each album at CDNow and listened to every sample, about a minute each, to get a feel for what they were like. After listening to bits of most songs on each album, I could pretty well tell if I would ever have any interest in hearing more. Only a couple really seemed like what I could listen to dozens of times, which is how I like to listen these days.

I'd rather listen to one album repeatedly for weeks, than listen to several just a few times each. I used to get bored really fast with one album, but now thanks to suggestions I've found here, I have found CDs that satisfy much, much longer. "Kind of Blue" would certainly be one such album.

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I agree thats a great album, but I dont think Its very reconized as a essential jazz album, although I would think it to be also, I think its more underground. Quest Love from the Roots is the drummer on the album also, he rocks

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bill Frisell w/Dave Holland and Elvin Jones.

8. Hell yeah! This disc is really awesome - Frisell's playing is typically amazing, Dave Holland offers solid backing lines and beautiful, though-provoking solos, and Elvin Jones simply keeps it all together. This is a definite must-have.

Keith Jarrett's Whisper Not is also extremely strong. Whenever you think that standards are old and boring, or if you think there are no new interpretations or lessons, listen to these discs - Jarrett's trio is my new dream band.