Essential learning route?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Intro2Pete, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Intro2Pete

Nov 11, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm coming over to the darkside. I've stopped the denial and fronted up to the fact that I am a born bass player. I've always played bass like a bass player and always felt like I stood a fighting chance of being **** hot at it, so I'm going to go for it once and for all. Trouble is, I want to do it PROPERLY, unlike I did with the last 12 years of guitar playing.

I've spent my whole guitar playing life learing odd little tricks, riffs, chord shapes, improving dexterity, all WITHOUT theory or any structured routine or goal to achieve. I've got to a level in my 12 years of playing guitar that I could have achieved in probably 2-3 with a good focused routine. I've got to a point where I can finally see the value of theory and how much better off I would have been with the kind of music I want to make had I taken a less blagged route to learning, but now because I know I can 'play', I can't be arsed to start again with the learning.

Now I already play bass, always have, but have only just bought myself a half decent squier to get it sorted on, so rather than go down the same old route of learning my favour riffs, tricks, and blagging it, I want to get the structure going on I never had with guitar before the bad habits and lazyness set in. When I do play bass, I reckon I'm pretty damn good, the groove just seems to come naturally. What would be anyones recomendation for learning 'properly'? If I was to say want to aim for session standard, which I actually think I'm capable of, how would I do it? I'm refering to any recommended books, videos etc, a bass version of Guthrie Govan's books for example would be perfect, if they exist?

I want to expand on my theory but apply it to bass, thus learing modes etc relative to how it would work best on bass etc. The only bass teachers I can find are guitar teachers who double for extra pocket money! I would ideally like to aim for going to somewhere like Bass Tech, but I'd prefer to be **** hot before I even attempt to apply!

So, any thoughts and suggestions?

2. A music teacher is a good option just maybe get a couple of lessons then you should start to learn it your way there are a n.o of sites on music theory if you look or do a search in either the DB forum or the GI forum you should find lots of info

Jazzbo has a thread on practice in the general Instruction section i suggest a read

Split your routine in sections so you cover all areas in which will benefit you musically
    Reading music
    Ear-training ( scribe learn intervals etc )
    Techniques ( slap , pick etc )
    Theory ( on paper as well as inst.)-scales chords etc.
    Listen /learn ( listen to all styles and see live musicians)
    Improv. ( jam )
  3. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    One more thing is to play in a band. Playing in a live situation is one of the best teachers :)... I'm tired so i'll shuttup now
  4. Check out either a music teacher, or ;)

I'm currently studying at Music Dojo, and I can highly recommend it.