Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essential nick fyffe/jamiriquai

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 26, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what are some of his best with them? i need them for my i pod.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The last 2 albums. He really shines on those, even though their not my faves, he's plays his arse off on them.

3. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I prefer the earlier Jamiroquai with Stuart Zender on bass. That kid is incredible, he learned the entire Weather Report album Heavy Weather by the time he was 19 years old.

I suggest picking up "Traveling Without Moving" with my boy Zender on it. The earlier stuff was a lot more musical and real. The newer stuff seems more like a dance club album. But to each their own.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Nick Fyffe only played on the last two albums, Synkronized and A Funk Odyssey. His best stuff on there is: Canned Heat, Black Capricorn Day, Love Foolosophy... Well, pretty much all the basslines are really good on there. Frankly, if you want to hear some fantastic Jamiroquai basslines you should be listening to Stuart Zender on the first three albums; Emergency On Planet Earth, The Return Of The Space Cowboy and Travelling Without Moving. Every single one of these basslines is brilliant, Stu is easily one of the best bassists ever. In my opinion anyway :)

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive got the stu zender stuff. i was just looking to explore the fyffe era a little more. thanks.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Ah I see, well, those three I said, plus Soul Education, Falling is a nice chilled one, Supersonic is good in a weird way... Where Do We Go From Here is alright, and Deeper Underground :)

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks tom. ill have a look.

8. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I heard that Jay Kay and the band had a big falling out, that's why the musician line-up is different on the last two albums?

I agree with "Soul Education", that's got a good groove to it, especially when the chorus comes in and he plays it disco style. I wish my bandmates wouldn't laugh when I try to play octave slaps like that... :smug:

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Stu played on "Deeper Underground".

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my favorite Jamiroquai song :bassist:

11. What kind of bass does he use in canned heat, im having a real problem picking it, and I love the tone.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    To be honest, Toby plays the song on keyboard, also he used to be a bassist himself. Anyway, if you get a Zoom 506 effects unit, and put it on "D2", you'll get that exact tone. BTW, Nick played a MM5 during that time.

13. I read somewhere that Jay Kay gets all the royalties from the albums, and the other members of the band just get paid for gigging. My brother saw them live, and said they were pretty good. Ive got the Live dvd somewhere too, thats pretty sweet.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Stu and Toby got some writing credits from the 2nd and 3rd albums.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i get the feeling that working with jay would be a pain in the arse.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's the story I've gotten. ;)

17. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Wow, I didn't know they had a live DVD? I'm going to check Amazon to see if I can get it here in the States. I've got the VHS with the three videos on it, but it's not live.

18. Live in Milan I think it is.
    Beverley Knight features on 'Main Vein'.

19. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I found one on Amazon, it's "Live in Verona 2003". I also stopped at Best Buy to pick up "Emergency on Planet Earth", but of course they didn't have any in stock. But the employee who helped me actually knew who they were and was as dissapointed as I was they didn't have anything. He had all their albums, I'm missing "Emergency" and "A Funk Odyessy". So I found everything on Amazon. I love the internet. If only I wasn't so impatient about shipping.

20. Yeah, Verona.
    Thats the one...