Essential Pino Palladino Recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Bring some knowledge tome. What are some of the albums that his best work was on. Im really interested in listening to them. I would appreciate it
  2. Paul Youngs "From Time To Time, the singles collection." It's sort of a greatest hits cd.
  3. bbbass

Feb 17, 2005
    D'Angelo's "Voodoo"
  4. Im aware of "Voodoo"...what else is out there for me to listen too?
  5. Paul Young "No Parlez", if you can stand with weird 80's music. Personally, I think its great album, but on the other hand, Im used to it, had it since I was kid.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get Don Henley's "Building the Perfect Beast." I loved that record back in the day. Larry Klein, Joni Mitchell's husband kicks butt on fretless on that album too. Check out "Boys of Summer."
  7. Keep em comin guys. Has he done any blues recordings with anyone? I think I remember hearing he did some Eric Clapton stuff.
  8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    'New York Minute' by Don Henley's end of the innocence CD is absolutely perfect - a perfect example of his fretless playing...
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I can't tell if I like the song or not, I can tell it's a cheesy tune... but Pino's playing makes me love it. I can't look past Pino.
  10. Phil Collins "I Wish It Would Rain" (lame song, great Bassline).
    Eric Clapton "Tears in Heaven"
    He was on an Elton John CD from '93.
    The 2nd Seal CD.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    We had a thread like this just a couple months ago. My contributions were Pete Townshend "White City" and Gary Numan "I, Assassin".
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Maybe you're thinking of the movie?
    IMO, Henley's tune is pretty heavy.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I thought that was Nathan East?
  14. Wow. I always thought that fretless counter melody was Pino. My mistake. Its East :(
  15. Pino did "Pilgrim" with Clapton, afaik.
  16. Joan Armitrading.... The Shouting Stage.... massive Pino MM fretless and Manu Katche on drums... amazing. Julia Fordham... Porcelain... Pino and Vinnie!

Both of their voices are an aquired taste, but two of the best pop rhythm sections I've ever heard!
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    John Mayer is releasing an Album of the Trio with Pino and Steve Jordan. Theirs one cut already up on I-tunes, I have no idea when the CD is coming.
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Erykah Badu
  19. secret of association by paul young - this came out in 1985 and represents some of his finest work on fretless. Very lyrical and up front playing on this album.

I haven't heard much of his newer stuff, but I do have the D'Angelo disc, and his style and tone are so different you can't tell they are the same people. Quite the versatile guy.
  20. Paul Rodgers, "Muddy Water Blues". :bassist: