1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essential Progressive Rock Albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, May 5, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've recently fallen in love with all things self-indulgent (musically, that is). But I'm always looking for new music, so I'm wondering what you guys think are the essential albums of progressive rock.

To start off, I would say that Rush's '2112' is amazing, and definitley essential.

Graeme

2. King Crimson's Red is the essential prog album.

Magma's Mekanik Destructiv Kommandoh and Faust's Faust IV are close runners up.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    +1 to the Krimson! Rush/Hemispheres,Dream Theaters Awake,and Falling Into Infinity,Symphony-X if you like the heavier Prog metal,and Spocks Beard if you prefer something not as heavy,but very well crafted tunes,and great vocal work. Spocks Beard V and Snow would be a good start.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes.

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    any genesis album with peter gabriel singing is pure genius.
    (pre-1975)
    although not really as wank-tastic as some later prog, it's all very, VERY good stuff.

6. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Well, IMO, Yes' "Fragile", "Close to the Edge" or "Relayer" definitely qualify. Dream Theater's "Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory" or "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", The Beatles "SGT. Pepper" (arguably the first progressive rock album) and "Queen II". These do it for me! :)

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I also hear good things about their album The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Any good?

And is Red what most people would consider the King Crimson album? I've been meaning to check out this band (due to Tony Levin) but don't know where to start.

Graeme

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Close to the Edge

9. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    +1 and Fragile

10. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    While there are some amazing tracks on Fragile (Roundabout, Long Distance and its epilogue), I don't like the whole album. There's a lot of stuff on that album I find to be quirky junk.

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Tarkus - ELP

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    Anything Spock's Beard. Octane is actually my favorite, but it's less 'proggy'. However the bass lines are genius.

I also like Neal Morse's solo stuff.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm going to repeat most of the albums listed:

King Crimson - Red
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - Tarkus
    Yes - Close to the Edge
    Genesis - Selling England by The Pound
    Gentle Giant - Free Hand
    Amon Duul II - Yeti
    Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei
    Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The only Yes song I've ever heard has been 'Owner of a Lonely Heart', which I can't stand. Is the rest of their stuff along the same lines?

Graeme

15. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    King Crimson's John Wetton period had a huge influence on myself and my fellow band members. During that period, they were funky (We'll Let You Know), heavy (Lark's Tongue in Aspic Part:II), and write beautiful songs (Book of Saturday). I would have to say that the trio of studio albums they put out are required listening for prog nerds.

YES - Close to the Edge, The Yes Album

Rush - Hemispheres

Genesis - Selling England by The Pound

16. Heavens, no! The band that produced that bears little resemblance to the one that recorded "Close to the Edge".

Another to consider:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

17. Although Red is an incredible album, I must throw in their first album In the Court of thr Crimson King, and the first one with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, Discipline.

I'll also toss Octopus by Gentle Giant out there.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't want to sound rude, but I REALLY have to disagree with you. Awake is more heavier for DT, and Falling Into Infinity is their most commercial album ever. I reccomend Images and Words and Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory.

19. Some More:
    Magma- Udu Wudu
    CAN - Future Days
    Frank Zappa & the Mothers - Weasels Ripped my Flesh, Lumpy Gravy, One Size Fits all, Hot Rats
    Amon Duul(not Amon Duul II)- Psychedelic Underground
    Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We can do is Wave to Each other.
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up , Benefit, Aqualung
    ELP - Brain Salad Surgery.

20. Yes "The Yes Album" - Starship Trooper is one of my favorites.

+1 on the King Crimson "Discipline" "Court of the Crimson King" is tasty too.