Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essential rack gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 2, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey everyone

i have an 8 space rack

so far, i have my crest power amp, eden pre-amp, korg tuner, and furman power strip..

i got 2 spaces left in this puppy..

is there anything else that i should be looking at , that might be good to have???

or just general ideas anyways..

thanks

eric

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    1. Sonic maximizer
    2. (maybe)Compressor / noise gate

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Anything with blinking lights.

Spare no expense when it comes to adding stuff with lots of lights to your rack.

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    +1 Sonic Maximizer
    +1 Compressor/Gate

OR you might look at the Behringer Ultracurve Pro. From the reviews, it apparently does the job of both of these plus feedback destroyers, several EQ modules, and all sorts of other goodies.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I can HIGHLY recommend the BBE Maxcom which takes care of both, but does not offer the other options mentioned by Dkerwood.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1

7. I don't know, I like having an extra space over the power amp for airflow/cooling. I'd pick one more rack space of effects and call it a day.

Randy

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you are considering going wireless, leave a space for that.

9. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    A boss Vf-1? that's 1/2 rack space :)

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I spoke to the guys at QSC and they said leaving a space above the power amp makes no difference whatsoever.

11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Sansamp RBI

12. He doesn't have a QSC. Depends on where the air vents/fan are, and how efficient the cooling system is.

Randy

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you like tube overdrive, I would suggest either a Chandler Tube Driver or a Tube Works Blue Tube. But otherwise, you have a very servicable rack. The compressor on the Navigator is really good, and I stopped using a rackmount compressor when I got my Navigator (and now I don't use a compressor at all, most of the time). I also found that once I stepped up to the Navigator (or a similar quality preamp), I really didn't gain much from using a BBE unit. Note: if you don't have a preamp with a killer compressor, and/or if your tone needs a little help, those compressor/BBE suggestions both have some merit.

If you play with multiple instruments that you'd like to dial in different gain settings, a Raven Labs MDB-1 is killer. If you play upright or another piezo equipped instrument, a seperate buffering preamp (I use a Stewart UDP-1a) would be a good addition.

If you don't need/want any of the above, then either leave yourself some blank spaces (perhaps with one or more single space perforated rack space plates), or add a 2-space rack drawer.

Tom.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Wireless, maybe a rack chorus unit.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

A compressor

Rob

16. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    1. Wireless
    2. Multi-effect
    3. Funk Logic Panel :cool:

I've heard mixed reviews about the Sonic Maximiser, I think people are starting to see it as a crutch for a weak link elsewhere in the rack system. A good wireless might be a great idea, if not a Bass Pod or even a Nightbass would fit the spot good. Of course if you really are set, a panel from Funk Logic might top things off great.

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for all your suggestions...

please keep them coming..

what exactly does a sonic maximizer do??

18. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    It's a fancy parametric eq with special algorithms to make you sound "better", basically.

Edit: IMO, if you already have an Eden and a Crest, there isn't much good that a Sonic Maximiser could really do for you. I say buy some nice toys, or go with a Funk Logic.

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    whats a good multieffect..

i'm not really a fan of the " pod" or whatever

tips?

20. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The Bas Pod and the Nightbass are the too big ones meant for bass, I beleive rocktron makes one as well too. If these don't interest you, there might be some guitar units that would work such as the G-Major or any Lexicon units.