Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by john turner, Apr 29, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as part of my quest for DB FAQ's, i'd like to ask all you folks what you would consider essential DB recordings, at least as a starting point, from different genres.

2. Joel Quarrington - 2 of his CD's

Virtuoso Reality (CBC Records MVCD 1108)

features Bottesini Grand duo Concertant, Eccles Sonata, Sarasate - Ziegeunerweisen

Bottesini - Music for Double Bass vol. 1 (NAXOS 8.554002)

features Elegy 1,2 & 3, Allegro di Concerto (alla Mendelssohn), Allegretto Capriccio

Joel's the man. The best I've heard - ever. I'm very honoured to have studied with him too.

3. As a newbie down here the disks that made me want to play DB are:
    Scott LaFaro/Bill Evans-Sunday at the village vangard
    Paul Chambers-Bass on top
    Charles Mingus- Ah Um
    Cachao-Cuban Jam Sessions
    Anything by Ray Brown and Jimmy Blanton
    Stanley Clarke

Been looking to get into some classical that features bass, any suggestions

4. La Faro- Excellent choice! Stanleys' first one with "Spanish Phases" on it was one of my first influential albums, also. The Ray Brown
    "Some of my Best friends are..." series is very good. Also the Jay Leonhardt duets and above all, the NHOP and Jim Hall duet album "Chops".
    As for classical, I like the Jorma Katrama recordings,
    Contrabasso con Bravura, ..con Amore. A nice collection of showpieces for double Bass. Also Ludwig Streichers Encores is both awe-inspiring and humorous at the same time.
    (Check out "The Bassists' nightmare")
    Also have to mention anything with Gary Karr, Edgar Meyer, Gerd Reinke, Francois Rabbath.
    And the list goes on, this is just off the top of my head...

5. I'll throw in a couple that were recommended to me when I started playing:
    Jazz: Miles Davis: "Kind of Blue" (Paul Chambers)
    Coltrane: "Giant Steps" (ditto)
    Anything by the Evans/LaFaro/Motian trio plus "Arrival of Victor Feldman" for some earlier LaFaro

Umm, Newgrass? Grassical?
    Edgar Meyer, "Uncommon Ritual"

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that NHOP should be represented - I have a solo album that has some amazing playing "This us all I ask" but there is probably another album that is a better choice - with Oscar Peterson? I also think that Dave Holland's current quartet would be a good one - probably "Prime Directive" For Stanley Clarke - "Light as a Feather" with Chick Corea/Return to Forever, has some wonderful playing.

For current Bassists/Composers - Avishai Cohen and Christian McBride. Not sure which to nominate fro Cohen, butI like SciFi by McBride as an example of a Double Bassist working in contemporary genres without compromising his artistic integrity and musical skill.

7. excuse me but what is NHOP, cant find info on the web.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    NHOP= Niels-Hennings Orsted Pedersen. A great recording is with Sam Jones "Double Bass".

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    niels hennings orsted pedersen (please forgive the undoubted spelling errors)

thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep em coming. i'll try to compile a list and see if i can get it kept at the top of the recordings forum.

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Fast fingers Ed. Great minds think alike ;-}

11. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - quite a name to go world-wide with :). Here is one link I found:

http://www.kalleklev.no/eniels.html

Typical strange Scandinavian letters: Æ, Ø, Å.

12. thanks, i have heard of the man you call NHOP, but have not heard him. guess that answers why i couldn't find info easy. :)

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    For variety, how about "Money Jungle" by Duke, Roach, and Mingus.

What about "Limp Bizkit plays Korn: A Tribute Album?!"

Although it's Cello, can we include "Bach's Cello Suites." There's a good version by Yo-Yo Ma and Pablo Cablas? is okay, but I can't remember the name of the performer that I liked best.

14. jazzbo IMO i like pablo better, it has more "feeling", yo yo is great but i find him some what serile sounding. to perfect.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But there's one artist I'm leaving out, and it's frustrating me that I can't remember his name! I always thought Yo-Yo had more feeling, and Pablo's was so technical. Funny how we both can have such different interpretations.

16. I'm a big fan of "The London Double Bass Sound" CD w/Gary Karr as the guest soloist. There's a whole series of the "London.... Sound" discs, and this one is supposedly the best of the bunch. Hearing 8 or 9 double basses as a section is just gorgeous. HUGE sound.

-a

17. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This thread is great guys, despite being a pain in the wallet. I'm making a list for the next Border's gig...

Two of my personal favorites:

Charlie Haden & Kenny Barron - Night And The City
    Charles Mingus - Live at Antibes

18. The other might be Rostropovitch if you are still talking about cellists, but I'm just guessing. As for the difference between Ma and Casals,That depends on which recordings you listen to, the first set or the second set of Yo-Yo Ma's recordings. The later set shows so much more musical growth over the technicality of the earlier ones it is phenomenal. Just goes to show you there is always room to grow.

19. Yes, it is a wounderful world we live in.

even better since i found the ignore in MyTalkBass.:D

20. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I like almost anything by german bassist Eberhard Weber.
    At the beginning of his professionnal bassist carreer, he played standard jazz with several people, like with Joe Pass ("Intercontinental"), Baden Powell ("Baden Powell: Three Originals"), Stéphane Grapelli ("Verve Jazz Masters II"), Hampton Hawes ("Hampton Hawes in Europe"), Red Norvo ("Red Hot on Nova Bossa: Red Hot on Verve").

Then he became more involved in jazz-rock (with the United Jazz + Rock Ensemble with many albums on the MOOD records label), and people like Wolfgang Dauner, Volker Kriegel, Michael Naura, etc.
    That's when he switched to the electric upright, and became its main pioneer.

He joined the ECM records label and recorded with other artists, like Jan Garbarek ("Rites", "Visible worlds", "Twelve moons", "I took up the runes", "Legend of the Seven Dreams", "It's OK to Listen to the Gray Voice", "Wayfarer", "Paths, Prints", "Photo with...", Pat metheny ("Watercolors"), Gary Burton ("Ring", "Passengers"), Ralph Towner (the classic "Solstice" and "Sounds and shadows"), plus his own records.

Colors of Chloe
    Yellow fields
    The following morning
    Silent feet
    Fluid rustle
    Later that evening
    Chorus
    Orchestra
    Pendulum