1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essential? Retailers Like Guitar Center and Michaels Think They Are

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by subtlestew, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:50 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    They (NYT) are more than a bit behind the curve on this one when it comes to GC. Vast majority of their stores are closed at this point.

3. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    They do say in the article that "Guitar Center has closed 75 percent of its stores."

dkelley, Plutonium244 and Kmonk like this.
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I did see that. Which makes me wonder why GC was thrown in the article's headline to begin with. They are complying with local regulations in states that they're doing business within. I'd love to know what more would NYT expect them to do.

5. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Liquor stores are considered 'essential' here. But all the bars are closed. :confused:

The reasoning must be 'drink at home', I guess.

Mr Cheese, Artman, diegom and 7 others like this.
  6. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    @ajkula66 , I don't know what else they could do, but I'm not sure that I'd want to try out an instrument at GC this week. Under normal circumstances it can be sketchy...

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Lucky you. Our liquor stores - owned and operated by the PA government - have been shut down for a week now...:bawl:

No argument from me on that one...

Spidey2112 and subtlestew like this.
  8. From what I read the logic is that hospitals can't spare resources to care for alcoholics who'd go into withdraws. Makes sense if you consider how many closeted alcoholics are out there.

Helix, PSPookie, gln1955 and 5 others like this.
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I assumed liquor stores would be considered essential for exactly this reason, but apparently not in PA. They probably wanted to protect the stores’ employees (all liquor stores state owned here with some small exceptions), and it’s tough to argue against that when beer and wine are still readily available.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Talk about nonessential. THE NEW YORK TIMES!!!

HeavyDuty, dwm74, Frontporch and 23 others like this.
  11. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Stop reading the NYT.

HeavyDuty, dwm74, Ryno1330 and 13 others like this.
  12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Here we let out dangerous prisoners, don't arrest criminals, have all the pot stores open, close all gun and ammunition retailers, have curbside pickup of cocktails and make people stand close to each other in line to get in Costco to promote social distancing. Makes perfect sense to me.o_O:wacky::jawdrop::banghead::help:

KB5, dwm74, birminghambass and 8 others like this.
  13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When did they close the gun stores? We've been seeing lines to get into gun stores here in LA. Just a little frightening.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I heard it on the good old news. Maybe some have not. From what I understand, gun stores are not essential, but pot stores are. Go figure. Maybe we can offer a joint to the murderer or robber to get them to not commit the crime, you think? I think our governor needs the pot stores open so he can get his weed, which would explain his blood shot eyes and arm flailing.:rollno:

KB5, dwm74, Templar and 4 others like this.
  15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe since the Pot shops are listed as medicinal dispensaries who also sell to the general public, they can stay open. In these unusual times people need something to help get them through, be it Pot, booze, God, exercise, etc. I'm not poking holes in whatever gets you through the night. Its alright... Its alright.

The Mogpipe, MDBass, GregC and 8 others like this.
  16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

17. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    Liquor stores are owned by the government!? How does that happen, and why? Do liquor store staff get State pensions?

fhm555 likes this.
  18. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yessir. We have independent beer distributors, and you can buy beer and wine in some supermarkets, but liquor is only sold in the "Fine Wine And Spirits" stores that are government owned/ran.

Sadly, I can't answer any of your questions. No clue how that practice came about or what type of benefits the store employees are entitled to.

bassplayer9512 likes this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Same here but here it’s all about a small group of legacy property owners leasing stores to the state. All in the name of keeping the demon liquor in it’s proper place of course. It’s only been in recent years private business has been allowed into the liquor business and they still have to buy from the state liquor authority, insuring their prices will be higher than the already sky high state prices. But whatever it takes to keep the devil down in the hole. ​

Thegrandwazoo, DrMole and GManfromOz like this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    My sister in law recently left her job at a state ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) store. They schedule workers for less hours than what is required to be considered full time - no benefits.
    I think managers are the only full timers. Not clerks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.