Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential Rock Bass Solos!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassduder, Jun 11, 2003.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Good Day to my fellow TalkBassers...I was wondering if you guys can list to me some of your favorite rock n' roll bass solos...whether it be Geddy Lee or John Entwistle!

Here is my list...
    1. Freewill - Rush, Geddy Lee
    2. Mr. Big - Free, can't remember his name?
    3. My Generation - Who, John Entwistle
    4. NV4 3445 - Talas, Billy Sheehan
    5. Steal My Kisses - Ben Harper, again can't remember?
    6. Scit Scat Wah - Racer X, John Alderete

they are just a few I can name...by the way, if this topic has already been poster, can someone give me a link, thanks

Later

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Juan Nelson.

3. The Fish - Chris Squire

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A solo by a guy who gets no props here on Talkbass but who has been an instructor at the Bass Institute of Tech. and who could smoke most of the bassists we sometimes waste time talking about here - Tim Bogert.

Listen to his solo with Cactus on "Oleo"....("grease me down, Timmy") The guy just KILLS!!!!

There's a guy on "Bass Player Magazine" Advisory Board who you never seem to get to hear either, Kenny Aaronson. I saw him in the olden days with a band named Dust and he just scorches a Fender bass.

5. Thanks for reminding me about Cactus. One of the great unknown bands. I had a bunch of Cactus records. Carmine appice on drums I believe (?)They kicked arse. Tim was also in Vanilla Fudge a classic rock classic as well.
    Peace

6. rickbass

mcbass - Then you are one who knows....you have to kick ass to play with Appice.....no to mention Jeff Beck!

7. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Quahogs, Anyone? - Stuart Hamm, The Urge

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Rick!

BB&A-
    Did not float my boat...at all!

Kenny Aaronson was also in Stories, though I don't believe it's him on "Brother Louie".

Do these count-
    JPJ's 'solo' on "The Lemon Song"?
    Dennis Dunaway's intro/raga/'solo' to "Gutter Cat vs. The Jets"?
    Randy Meisner's solo on The Eagles' "Outlaw Man"?

And the guy in Free is Andy Fraser!
    C'mon!

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If we're including cool riff bits which might not usually be classified as solos (which is usually the closest you get in mainstream rock/pop), then:

Rio, Duran Duran. John Taylor

Pain Lies On The Riverside, Live. Pat Dahlheimer

10. Crossroads by Cream, maybe?

11. "Scheiß Typ" - Die Ärzte (Sahnie)

"One Of These Days" - Nancy Sinatra (dunno who played the bass, though?!)

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Stranglehold by Sweaty Teddy right in the middle he gives I think his name is Rob Grange a nice litte solo.
    Geddy in Freewill

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm a rock guy and I like rock riffs, even simple ones.

"Tommy the Cat", Primus, Les Claypool
    "The Real Me", The Who, John Entwistle
    "My Generation", The Who, John Entwistle
    "Sin City", AC/DC, Cliff Williams
    "Cold Cuts", Albert Collins and the Icebreakers, Johnny B. Gayden
    "Pictures of Home", Deep Purple, Roger Glover
    "Fireball", Deep Purple, Roger Glover
    "Hate To Say I Told You So", Hives, Dr. Matt Destruction
    "N.I.B.", Black Sabbath, Geezer Butler
    "YYZ", Rush, Geddy Lee
    "Free Will", Rush, Geddy Lee
    "Lemon Song", Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jones
    "Good Times Bad Times", Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jones

14. rickbass

I didn't care for BB&A either, Jim. But what I was saying is that you don't get to play in a band with the likes of Beck and Appice unless you are one of the heaviest hitters in the business.

Aaronson with Dust was absolutely NUTS!!! It seemed like every song's bass part was drag race, especially when I saw them live.....sort of like Bruce in Cream.

15. I don't really hear a bass solo in "Free Will."
    I think you guys are referring to the part that plays during the guitar solo, which is more like a backing to the guitar solo, but a good part nonetheless.

Also, his bass tone is a little odd on that song, but it manages to cut through really well. Is he using a Rickenbacker with a lot of treble?

Oh, and #1 on my list is "N.I.B" also, since I don't know too many real bass solos. By the way, how does he get his distortion on that song? Is he using a wah in the middle position and then overdrives his amp during the main riff? And does he use distortion throughout the whole song or just the intro? I am actually working on that song at the moment, so if anyone knows then let me know.

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Tommy the cat is definitely the Heat.

Out of tribute, I am trying to get a version of Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth on Metallica's first album. Does anyone else think it was winged? Some of the timing is nuts!

17. The first 4 bars of that part are a bass solo - the guitar solo starts with the 5th one ;)

In regards to Geddy Lee, I like the little solo he does in the song "Vital Signs" on the "Moving Pictures" album :)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This Guy...
    If I'm not mistaken, is this guy...

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, no, Mr. Big was orginally the name of a song did by the band, Free (Paul Rogers band before Bad Company) I believe Mr. Big (the band) took their name from the title of the Free song.

Hope that wasn't to confusing. :meh:

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jeff Berlin's note-for-note reading of Clapton's "Crossroads" solo.

J.P. Jones on Zep's "Lemon Song"..not really a solo maybe, cool nonetheless.

Baghiti Khumalo's brief solo on "You Can Call Me Al".

Rick Laird on Mahavishnu Orchestra's "One Word".