1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essential Sound Products MusicCord: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHFusillo, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    As I posted in the previous (currently closed) thread about these cords, I bought an ESP MusicCord to try to hear for myself if it would make a difference. I could think of no reason why an AC cord should make a difference, but wanted to try.

I bought the $129, 2-meter cord.

Ordering is easy (he takes PayPal) and shipment was prompt. I must say that this thing is impressive looking -- it's massive.

I've been testing this at home (where I expect to hear the greatest difference). Rig is a Fender Roscoe Beck IV with TI rounds -> Spectraflex cable -> AI Focus 1 Series III head -> EA VL-110 cab. Mids and highs up all the way on the EA and the treble on the Focus was set to about 3:00 -- brighter than normal; I was listening for changes in "harshness." Tone control on the bass was almost all the way up. This was not a blind test: I was switching between the MusicCord and the stock AI cord. Nor was this test objective; it was just me and my ears.

I have to report that I hear no difference between the stock cable and the MusicCord. The level of background noise from the amplifier sounded the same with both power cords -- low but audible if you're close to the cabinet. Tone sounded the same both ways.

I like this rig already, so there's nothing I specifically want to improve. I was skeptical, but not specifically predudiced one way or the other. I'm also no Eric Johnson -- no "golden ears" boy. I just do not hear a difference in this limited test. I'll probably hold onto the cable. It will make a good conversation piece and Michigan can use a little stimulus money (although those bastards from Michigan State beat my UConn yesterday).

2. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't taken off. :D

I can't say I'm surprised that you didn't hear a difference, my experience has been that these fancy power cables don't actually do anything sonically. I'm sure the true believers will be along shortly to cast aspersions on your listening abilities. :bag:

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    So, do you have scientific proof that this cable doesn't improve tone? ;)

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thanks for 'taking one for the team':D

I bet it's pretty looking though, and quite impressive in its packaging!:bag:

5. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    +1 :)

6. Roadman

Roadman

Mar 26, 2008
    Wow, I can't believe you heard no difference.
    After the power makes it's 200 mile trip from the power station to the outlet in your house, the last 6 feet of wire didn't clean things right up.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My thoughts exactly.

8. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    +1

/thread

9. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm going to give the cord the break-in period recommended by the manufacturer (in for a penny of the stuff, in for a pound) and try it again.

On the other hand, my wife tried the MusicCord with her Sybian and had her first full-body orgasm.

^That was a joke up there.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D That could open up a HUGE demand in a totally new category for them.

I was going to thank her also for 'taking one for the team', but it just didn't sound quite right.

11. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    And by the way, there are people whose ears I trust who have reported hearing a difference with these cables -- and I'm not referring to the endorsers. If there's anyone in the Houston area who wants to try a blind test, PM me.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just FYI, the advantage of a 'blind test' is to, in this case, keep the expensive cord from being perceived as sounding 'better' just because you know it's expensive and fancy and that it's 'supposed to sound better'. So, in this case, hearing no difference in a 'non blind' test is actually just as strong if not stronger evidence that the whole thing is a bit of a marketing thing and not an 'electronics' thing.

Of course, as you point out, a sample of one does not always result in the 'final answer'.

13. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's my thinking, Ken. Another set of ears, at least one other rig, etc. will give us another data point.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Then it was worth it...FOR HER!!! Make her pay for the cord.

I'm sure the guy who started the closed thread about it and got all mad that we didn't believe him is going to chime in and ask why we all believe you and not him. DUH!!

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    When a manufacturer says his wire needs a 'break in' you are in the Snake Oil Zone. :scowl:
    http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/audio-cable-break-in-science-or-psychological
    Even worse, there is at least one guy out there who offers a 'break in' service for wire using some silly supposedly sub-atomic process. It costs a hundred bucks, and you have to get it re-done once a year. :eek:

And then there's this gizmo:

http://www.haglabs.com/frykleaner.html

See what they say when you tell them that you switched back to your old cable but really haven't. :smug:

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't know. I put an Energizer battery in my bass yesterday and it didn't sound as good as the Duracell I took out.

17. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    [chortle] Touche.

18. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Now you're in the Eric Johnson zone.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1

But how did you do the testing?
    Did you do blind testing?
    It would work two ways, to prove that you hear a difference, or that you don't hear a difference.
    Maybe throw in a 14ft Fdeck described power chord for comparison.

20. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK

I beg to differ sir! We all know that all that filtered electrical power gunk gets stored up in the cable after a year's use, and once in a while you need to clear the cable to ease the flow. Think colonic irrigation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.