Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex 5 string Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 30, 2004.

1. I was thinking about checking out a 5 string essex Jazz bass and was wondering the concensus on them. Are they the same string spacing as a fender 5 string Jazz. How does the B string sound. Any of this info would be a great help thank you

Jared

2. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    From what I've heard about the Essex basses, they sound just as good as, or maybe even better than the fender basses.

If I were you, I would go for it. *needs money...badly*

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um... no.

But they are great for the money, that's for sure. Maybe look at the Essex Megathread for more information?

4. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    The Essex I played had the same spacing as a Stingray 5. Which is more narrow than Fenders, I think...The B was loose. The Essex wasn't so hot. The Brice 5 string Jazz is a much better buy...

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed on the Brice 5, its much better quality than the Essex, has a nice, balanced B string and better hardware. IMO the Brice's are better than the Mexican Fender's, but definitely not with the Essex.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have owned both (still own the Brice.) Eric is exactly right. If you could compare the Brice Jazz to a MiM Jazz you would more than likely pick the Brice.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heres how i see the Essex issue.

Some Essex's > MIM Fenders
    Some Essexs < MIM Fenders

Brices> MIM Fenders.

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd never think of Essex as more than a backup bass or beater bass for gigging. I like having a bass I can put stickers on.

Now my new Brice 5 string, that's a real player bass. Much higher quality than an Essex and even over some MIA Fender's I've played.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have the 5 string Ash/Maple/black inlay Jazz, I want the 4 string version as well as a fretless. My friends love it. It plays great great! Maybe someone could do an "official" Brice/Fender MIM shootout, comparing hardware, fit and finish and post some sound clips. I would, but I can't from this computer.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I had and gigged an SX bg-205 for about a year. I wrote a review on HC. For the money it's a good entry level 5. It needed setup, and I couldn't intonate the B until I replaced the bridge. I liked the sound and the B was tight. If you know how to do your own setup, I'd say it's very good for a first 5. The new ash model looks great. I'd still have it if I didn't get a deal on my Vaccaro Xray 5.