1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essex 5-String Pickup Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dalo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi,

Long time lurker here.

I have an SX 5-string Jazz Bass on the way.
    I'm not usually the type who wants to mod an instrument, but I tend to be an all neck pickup type of guy and foresee the annoyance of hum in my future.

I'd like to drop in some humcancelling pickups. I'm not too particular on sound, but I'd like to stay in the realm of a jazz sound and I'd like to do it passively.

Looks like SX pickups are both 3 5/8" x 3/4"
    Basslines SJB-5N's seem close in size (slightly smaller) and otherwise seem perfect. Anyone know if they fit?

I've searched extensively and haven't seen anyone mention pickups that are a drop in replacement on 5-String SX's. Does anyone know of any that fit the bill?

Thanks

2. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bump

So, I've had the bass for a few days now. Very impressed with the quality of the bass overall. Not perfect, but damn good for the price. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

I'd still like to know of any drop in humbucking pickups. The bass isn't excessively noisy, but there certainly is some hum.

I have to imagine someone has replaced the pickups on their SX 5-String. Right?

3. joelc1319

joelc1319

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm curious as well...I'm close to purchasing an SX 5-string from Rondo. Of course I'll try it out first, but pickups will probably be the first upgrade...if necessary.

dalo320, I researched DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5's. They say they are hum-canceling.

Also, your post about the quality of the SX inspired me to definitely buy one...I'm excited!

4. Bartolini's drop right in and still keep that Jazz quality of sound on my SX SBJ 4+1 and i'm getting ready to do it to another of my SX's

5. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Awesome.

May I ask what model of Barts you used?