Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex 62 Jazz Bass review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toshiya, Sep 29, 2002.

1. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got my essex at 6:12 pm last friday, and all I can say is wow. First of all, this will be my third (and certainly not last) bass, I've previously owned a samick fretless P/J and a esp f-205 and let them go because they didn't satisfy me at all. I've played many of the common high end basses like warwicks, sr's, peavys, american fenders, etc.., but have yet to play sadowsky's and such. Anyways, on with the review.

The essex 62' j-bass is the best bass I have ever played. The tone I get out of this is simply amazing plug into a pa system to 2 cabs. With one guitar and mic plugged into the same system, the essex cuts through surprisingly well. It doesn't overpower the others by any means, but what you get is a great bottom growl. However, I must say, the tonal variation on it leaves some to be desired, however, this can be remedied, maybe with new pups, a preamp, or an eq pedal. Next up, is the wood. The body is the of middle weight, it's definitely heavier than the fender MIMs and MIAs. Don't know how they managed that, but it sounds good and I'm not complaining. The neck is also another high point. The finish on the back of the neck is simply so smooth and easy to play on that I couldn't believe it wasn't butter :D The inlays surprised me because they seem to be a light pearloid, but anyways, they were done well. The frets seemed to need to some filing done, but otherwise, they were done pretty well. NO DEAD SPOTS, however, do to the el-cheap nut, open A D and G buzz, however, nothing else did.

The action came set incredibly low and felt great, however, for a bit more punch, I raised it a bit. The neck was incredibly straight for something that crossed the country only in a box! (didn't order a bag) The bridge seems standard and I'm content with it, however, I am replacing it with a gotoh 201. The bridge has the same problem as MIM jazz bridges, the saddles disalign sometimes and also, it's a lightweight bridge. The strings are ok, and the tuners are ok to. The finish however, was amazing. A bright red (almost fiesta) was what I got, with a contrasting off white pickguard. The only finish problem I had was a scratch on the matching headstock, nothing noticable tho :)

Anyways, I'm gonna be playing this bass for a long long time and you know, I just may buy a few more essex' before I hit for that beautiful blue sadowsky that nino-brown has on his page.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think so. ;)

I like my Essex, also, but I might sell it cause I need to make room in the stable. Congrats on yours.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i am getting one of these really soon - as soon as i get paid for selling my musicman.

i figure, essex 62 jazz, have my buddy go over the frets and set it up w/brass nut, DR hibeams, badass bridge, put in the best volume and tone pots money can buy, full shielding, still shouldn't break 150 bucks.

i can't wait.

4. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, buying an essex and decking it out is amazingly cost-effective. if they start making more colors and more variety of instruments, I might have to get a job and start mass buying and mass modding essex's hahaha

i only neglected one small problem tho. the buzzing, i definitely need to change the pots and shield the cavity because their is a slight buzz.

tchao!

5. wa2

wa2

Sep 9, 2002
    IL
    Does anyone have a good online source for pots for Essex basses? The tone pot on the BG-80 I bought for my nephew has absolutely no effect on tone. Thanks

6. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.warmoth.com

you can't directly order it online though, you'll have to mail in/fax/ or phone your order.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    toshiya... hey look! another japanese dude! sweet ;) Congrats on the Essex.. Im planning to get the Essex 62J fretless :)

DM

8. I can absolutely recommend dropping in a J-retro. I stuck one in my SX '75, and it's sweet.

9. Another satisfied owner of the SJB-62. I gotta agree with everything in your review. The neck was nice, but I had to put a P neck on mine. Check out the Essex megathread for my review on the Essex.

10. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    not quite DM :) I'm asian, but rather a chinese one with 25% cambodian blood. Both my parents were from good ol' kampuchea tho, oddly enough though, I'm pretty in touch with the japanese music scene (vk and major).

anyways, yeah, I'm deeply satisfied with the essex, and actually read the WHOLE MEGATHREAD prior to my purchase. BUT I am wondering how NINO :) got that sonic blue (?) paint job? It looks like a stock paint job, the decal isn't even damaged.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's actuallY Lake Placid Blue & it's one of the options for their "62 Jazz"

12. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    they must've discontinued it, but I would love to get another in lake placid once they start distributing it again.

13. I think they are out of stock, not discontinued. They are nice looking though. I wne twith the black finish though. I didn't like the red/white, and wasn't too keen on the LPB. In retrospect, the LPB looks very nice.

14. Is the only site to buy essexs rondo music?

15. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Yes we should have the blue back in stock, hopefully Nov.

Will be getting the blue back in, some more black, a metalic red, a quilt top (fake) red, a fretless and a few lefties. I will put up pix on the site when they come in. I will also have more details when I get the final packing list when they ship.

Kurt
    Rondo

16. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I have an Essex P-bass fretless with a FAAS piezo system and TI's Acousticores on it. It's great for the money I have in it.

Question for Kurt:
    Is the west coast longshoremen's labor dispute going to affect your shipments??

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Kurt.. says your from Union, NJ... is Rhondo Music in NJ? If it is, I am thinking about taking a drop by to try some of the basses!

Thanks

DM

18. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I received my SJB62-TM SX bass yesterday. It's the black beauty with the white pickguard. I must say, It sounds exceptionally nice. It looks great, and for the money, I believe it's a better buy compared to an entry level Fender Jazz. Sure, I plan to do some adjustments to it but overall, it's a good instrument with lots of potential. Rondo packaged it really nicely too. Thanks to Kurt and the people at Rondo Music!
    I'll keep an eye on your site for what's in store this fall.

19. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Nino why do you need the Essex? You have Sadowskies!