Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essex '62

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, Sep 15, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    this would be sooo friggin cool. i have a fretted j, a fretless p, so id probly defret this.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    My Essex 62 is arriving Tuesday!
    I got black though, suits me better :)

3. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    give us somethin to look at when it comes! im intrested to see how it plays/sounds

4. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
  5. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I just got mine Essex 62 JB and like it a lot. My only complaint is the holes for the strings in the bridge are drilled to small. I changed the strings on delivery because the gauge was a little lighter than I like and was barely able to pass a 105 E String through the E string hole. Other than that, it's great. Plays just as good as my MIM P-Special, and I could have bought 4 of the Essex's for what I paid for the P-Special.

6. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I figure the SJB62 would be a great project bass if need be. Is it worth picking up this model or just waiting until Rondo Music to gets it's fall models in?? I'm considering the flamed top model...

7. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    god, the red one is freekin awesome.......i want one

8. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I just ordered a Essex SJB62TMBKS black phot flame. I could no longer resist after all the Essex post here. I will post a review when I get it. Actually it is not going to ship until Friday when I charge it. Check you later - Mark

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Everyone getting there Essex basses from the same place? i'm interested in just grabbing one just for the sake of having one

10. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
  11. i'm really interested in a BG-80 p-bass clone. for 100 bucks and the reviews on here, it's real tempting.

does anybody know if fender replacement pickguards fit on these basses?

12. I'm pretty sure that people have said Fender pickguards don't fit on Essex basses. Maybe someone that actually owns one will stop by and clear that up, though.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking about getting a either a P or J (or both) from Essex pretty soon even though I'm not a 4-string player.

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but how do these compare to say, a MIM Fender? I'll run a search on this topic, but feel free to comment here as well.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if i lived in the usa, i'd jump on one of them. i'd love a jazz bass and for that price!!

come on man...what the hell do you want more!

[​IMG]

14. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
  15. I've got the SJB-62 in black and I love it. I swapped the neck for a solid maple P sized neck, and dropped on a different bridge. I'm still thinking about a J-retro to add on, and active pups. But it's my main player these days.

funkfish, why don't you get one of the Essex fretless basses instead of defretting that one?

16. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Does anyone own one of the Photo Flame models? I was just curious how good they look.

17. i got a '62 but i ordered a pickguard from rondo music also, it didn't fit. why?

18. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    i got a '62 but i ordered a pickguard from rondo music also, it didn't fit. why?"

This is a crazy and embarring problem. The pickguards apparently fit the BG-80 (P bass) and BG-150 (Jazz). But those same pickguards do not fit the SPB (P bass) and SJB (jazz). Arrr! Part of the frustrating Chinese / American language barrier I guess. I have updated our web site to indicate this. You can return the pickguards that don't fit. I will cover your return shipping.

Kurt
    Rondo Music

19. thats quiet alright, the fact you appologized makes it all better ;) . whats seven bucks? but its cool because my dad and i are gonna use a grinder to resize it, that was one of 2 solutions. the other being drilling new holes for the pups which i really don't feel like doing

20. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Thanks. I still find it kind of crazy. I will try to get some of the correct size pickguards comming in.

I know crazy problems like this happen with the big companies to. For example, I ordered a bunch of Samick JZ jazz guitars last year. But no cases. Then I started getting customer requests for cases. Turns out they built these jazz guitars to be slighly different than the Epi's (Samick made the Epi DOTS that year) so the cases did not fit, and Samick never made a case for their own guitar. Next thing I had lots of angry customers, youch!

Kurt