Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex 62jazz copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 30, 2002.

1. I think im going to buy this bass in a few weeks from rondomusic or something like that...

ive heard some good things and read hambone's review of their P copy.

any place i could look for reviews? ive tried brga.org/net whatever it was. and there werent any...

do ya'll think i should?

2. Nin Brown has one of these instruments. Maybe he'll chime in.

-Chris

3. are you talking about the BG150? ash body w/ maple board? if you are, i have it, and i think its should be worth way more than you have to pay for it! it seriously kicks some major buttocks.

4. SJB 62 Bass

i want more of the vintage look and plus it would take me 2 months to get up the xtra money for the one you mentioned

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have the bass, but I upgraded it alittle. When I got it from the store, befor eI did the mods. It sounded really good. The neck feels better than most basses I tried more then 3x the amount. the weight was good, not too heavy. I'd definitly go for it.

6. I just checked Rondomusic.com and looked at the bass you're talking about. It's on sale right now for $120. I wish I had the money, because I really want a inexpensive Jazz bass to play with.

I want to mod it into a P/J combo, and keep the Jazz body. But alas, I don't have the money. Unless someone wanted to buy the guitar I've got listed in the for Sale section. :D

7. rmerritt

rmerritt

Apr 10, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Definitely go for the SJB 62....I bought one from Rondo about a month ago and love it! Before I purchased, I e-mailed many of their customers and got some real good comments back....at $119, it stands to be a much better value than the inexpensive Squier's, Ibanez or Yamaha. Wouldn't be the case if it didn't play well..but it plays great.

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The price is unbelieveable! For those of you that have Essex basses, how was the setup on delivery?

9. i must say that it was very good. i havnt decided to fiddle around with it, cause i like it too much.

10. I hate to say it, but I purchased a blue Essex 5-string from Rondo, it was my first bass, and the neck arrived warped. Guitar Center and several other places claimed the neck beyond repair. So finally after getting enough cash for a Schecter Diamond Series Stilleto Elite-5, I sent back my Essex after calling them and the receptionist told me this, "Oh yeah, we have had quite a few problems with the necks like that." Just thought I would warn you... It's a shame that they are not high quality because the price is killer. :(

11. did you talk to kurt from rondo music? they will usually replace it. i havent heard about the neck being warped.

12. Geez, you've got to remember that with price come some compromises! There's a reason that a $120 bass is different from a $300 bass which is different from a $3000 bass. To expect a bass in this range to be anything more than playable is naive at best. The fact that these guitars seem to be a lot more than their price indicates is simply icing on the cake - a happy accident. In your case, you were certainly deserving of an instrument that played correctly. But that alone shouldn't be an indictment of the line in general.

My review of the P version pretty much indicates where the problems lie with these instruments. But the real value to me is that either way you decide to go - total rebuilding with quality parts or runnin' what she brung - you can have a killer bass for less than half of what the larger competition offers.

Here's an example of how it could be done easily:

Essex Jazz copy - $120 (could be fretless too!)
    Quan BAII bridge - $39
    Stew Mac tuners - $35
    Pickguard - $19
    EMG or SD pups - $100
    New pots, etc. - $15

TOTAL $328

There's your killer bass with killer parts for less than the local discount mart can off for an instrument with the same features. And if you don't go this way, you can really eat their lunch by only paying $120 and diggin' on it stock.

13. im going to get the essex jazz. put a Leo Quan on it and if the money becomes avalible a J-Retro

she'd be killer then too but if you get a new nut (brass) and tuners then your talking like 275 dollars for those 3 upgrades (minus j-retro)
    she would really be kick ass. all for cheaper than a Fender MIM Jazz that has the same "problems" stock as the essex modified!!

14. I think your deal would be even better than that if you shop wisely. Even if you had to have the modifications installed by a tech, you should come out way ahead:

Essex Jazz $120
    BAII 39 - Go to "Setup" to see who has'm
    J-Retro 275 - Do this before new pups
    Tuners 35 - No joke - best value/high quality
    Brass
    Nut (inc. inst.) 35

TOTAL $504
    $229 without J-Retro

While yer at it - go with all black hardware - a very cool look IMO. These are fairly easy installations. Other than common hand tools one would only have to have a set of small files for notching your nut and saddles on the BA. File sets are less than $10 everywhere. Why not take it on? You'll know a lot more about the instrument after doing these small things and it'll impart some important mojo to the instrument if you bled over it a little :cool:

15. I know it wasnt going to be anything amazing, but I atleast expected it to be playable. I had horrible fret buzz, had to raise the actions to eliminate; it hardly worked and it was impossible to play with the strings that high. I just thought I would share my information that was passed to me by the employee at Rondo stating that they have had a lot of problems with their necks.

16. my neck was nice and straight right out of the box, the only changes ive made so far were new strings, intonation, and pickup height.

17. when i get it im going to keep the stock pickups and tuners for a while and get the really important stuff first... Bridge and Preamp. maybe the nut

as long as the tuners stay intune for 2 days or so then they will be fine.

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Like stated B4 I have the Jazz copy & the stock tuners work VERY WELL!!!! I wanted to put a set of Schaller BML tuners, but I didn't feel the need.

19. koo.... what about the PUs?? noisy? or quiet?

20. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Where are some pics of this bass?