Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okenwood, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okenwood

okenwood

Aug 19, 2002
    Hey guys, I'm new to the board and am looking into getting a low cost "cheap" bass for my home recordings.

I've read on here about the Essex basses, and allot of you guys seem to suggest them.
    I don't know anything about different style bass picups so how would the Essex BG-180 differ to say the Essex SJB-62 sound wise? I'm mostly a hard rock/metal type guy.

by the way I was going to buy a yamaha RBX170 from guitar center but the were sold out so I was waiting on new shipment so I might go with the essex instead.
    anyone know how fast Rondo ships?

sorry for such a long post
    thanks,
    Kenney

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Some TBers (that's "talkbassers", or posters here) have Essex or SX basses and give them positive reviews. Do a search on 'Essex' and see what you come up with.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hi. Have anybody ever played an Essex bass?duct_tape seems to recommend it highly. Im contemplating on getting an Essex Jazz bass. Should I get them over the Squier PBass Special?

Regards

4. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    They are great basses for the money. Definately get one over the Squire. Better quality IMO. I want to get another one. I sold my first one, the only reason I did was to get the last little bit of money I needed to buy my Rick, Plus my friend wanted to play bass and he liked my Essex. He still has it and told me he would never get rid of it.

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    http://www.dmgear.com/SXguitar/fjb62.htm

Im thinking of getting that particular model. Have you ever tried that one?Are they really better than a Squier. Their price tag is simply too good to be true. If Im not wrong Squier uses an Agathis body for their P-Bass Special while Essex uses Alder. Is an Alder wood better than an Agathis?

Cheers :)

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Everyone who has one here swears by them... and thats good enough for me really..

I think it was woodchuck recently who went in to do some recording.. and out of all of the basses he has, the sound guy wanted the essex... Not that the essex is a better bass, but I certainly think it may record better than some because its so simple

7. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
  8. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    As far as wood, Fender uses Ash and Alder. They use Ash on their natural and transparent colors, and Alder for solid colors. If its good enough for Fender, it's good enough for me.

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I'm totally convinced of getting myself an Essex bass. The Essex Jazz Bass Im getting has gold-plated hardware which is probably the only downside for me. How do I prevent the goldplated hardware from corroding or tarnishing?

10. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    It depends on the plating. My 50th Anniversary Fender Jazz has gold plating and I have no problems with it. I just use a cloth to wipe it down every time I play it. You don't want to use any cleaners or polishes on it cause that might remove the plating. I like the look of gold plating even though it is harder to take care of.

Let me know how you like the Essex.

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey thanks alot for the info and help. Appreciate it. One last thing I have to add before I get it tomorrow though. Are the stock strings decent or should I get a new set of strings fitted on it because I want a decent tone as Id be performing in school in a week's time. Would I get a distinctively better tone with say a new set of strings or should I just stick with the stock ones(if they dont really make much difference).

Cheers

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'm convinced about getting one myself, only mines gonna be a project bass.

13. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    definately put new strings on her. I used D'Addario 45-105's roundwound on mine and it sounded sweet.

14. basskunk

basskunk

Oct 16, 2001
    atl,ga
    go with essex.i got the bg-150 and love it . all i had to do was change the strings right out of the box.i have replaced my MIA P-deluxe with the essex. anybody looking for a good mia P-deluxe,check it out in the for sale forum.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    For the price, my SX BG-205 is unbelievable.

I've thought about getting a J also. That DM shop has SXs that look different than the ones at Rondo. But DM is in Singapore. Do they ship to the US? What are their prices?

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I'm not sure if they do. If the overall overview of Essex as a bass guitar brand is pretty good I don't see why there would be contrasting qualities between different models. I guess Ill just have to give it a good test drive before I get it. Thanks for the help guys!

17. I've got an Essex P-bass (the cheapest model they sell, with the maple neck - can't remeber the model # offhand) and I'm totally thrilled with it.

I also have an MIM jazz bass, that had horrible fretwork, lots of paint holes, crap electronics, and other signs of apathy. The Essex had none of these, except for a couple of high frets that I filed down.

I took the time to do some setup work on it, and I managed to get the action lower than the Jazz's, and furthermore, the tone is fantastic! a great p-bass for the money, even with an upgraded pickup (Fender '62 P-bass) it's still as cheap as a squier and one third the price of an MIM Fender.

It's also got the most usable tone control of any passive bass I've played. I can roll the highs all the way off and get a big upright-style THUMP.

Get one.

18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Allright I've got my Essex Jazz Bass. Its dark blue. Wood grains are slightly visible. Pearloid Pickguard(YUM). Gold hardware. Bass looks awesome and plays comfortably. Only flaw is its weight. Can't quite give a detailed overview of it since I just got it like 4 hours ago. Might change the strings though!
    Thanks alot for the help guys!

19. is the six string modle they have any good.a six string for under 300.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.