1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essex Basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afrodisiak, Apr 16, 2006.

1. afrodisiak

afrodisiak

Mar 14, 2006
    Singapore
    I've heard pretty good stuff about this brand, about it's value-for-money and all. I'm a completely new bassist, having no experience with a bass whatsoever, other then feeling the contours of one in the music shop.

So I was thinking of getting a P/J from Essex, and then when I get better and have the dough, upgrade the bass part by part so that it'll achieve the kind of sound I want. I have a few questions here though, I am heavily influenced by older acts like Iron Maiden, GnR, Queen, Eagles but I also like the currents such as Green Day, MCR and Arctic Monkeys.

Which part of Essex basses would you consider the weakest? And that I should place it as a top priority in upgrading?
    Also, will such an ambitious project work? I mean, a total bass-idiot planning to modify his own bass, sounds a little far-fetched doesn't it?

Oh, and by the way, a big HELLO from Singapore! :hyper:

2. Do a search. I think you will find that there are several large threads about Essexes (or SXs) already. As for upgrading it piecemeal, that doesn't really strike me as the best way to do things. Might be more to your advantage to buy a better bass right off.

3. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
  4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    As a new bass player, there is really no need to modify an SX bass. It will serve you very well just as it is. If later on, when you're playing in a band, you might want to upgrade the pickup. The stock pickup is not too bad as is though. I'd worry about upgrades later. Just learn to play the best you can, and most importantly have fun. The SX is a great bass that you can enjoy for years, and grow with it. After years of playing a Vintage Fender P bass, I now play an SX SPB 62 for most of my live work.