Essex Customization idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Heres what I think I'm going to do:

Buy an essex jazz bass (the one with the vintage pickguard for $119)

Install a hipshot Bass tremelo

Install Seymour duncan vintage jazz pickups

Install a Moses Graphite neck

Polish it off with A mirror Pickguard and some Elixir nano webs.

What do ya think:confused:
  2. Why don;t you just buy a Warmoth body instead? You seem to be replacing everything except the body, so why not spend a little bit more and end up with a nicer body? I've never played an essex, but if they are loike most cheap basses, the body will be made out of a few pieces of cheaper wood instead of one piece. Considering the amoutn of money you will be spending to add all the expensive modifications, I think it would make sense to spend a little bit more and get a nice body. Just my 2 cents.
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Weird, you read my mind. The top on the essex is photo flame. Spend an extra buck or two and get a bass with a real wood top and you'll really have something. Or are you just trying to put together a tremolo bass as cheap as you can?
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002

I like the black though. I'm basing the cosmetics on Tom morello's guitar. I love that look, the mirrored pickguard, with all that metal thats going to be on the bass, it will just look awsome. I'm actully reconsidering the Jretro pre, and Just keeping the passive elecs. w/ the seymour duncans, I've never really cared for the "fiddle faddling" of and active pre. This bass will act as a secondary Tuning/Tremelo crazy bass.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Essex bodies are made of a solid piece of wood, not multiple pieces together. That's what the web site says anyways. I doubt that it would be a lie...
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No your right, it's soild alder.
  7. I used to own one.

The body is really heavy - agathis I think.

You might be better served going the Warmoth or USACG route.
  8. Hmm... my Essex BG150 seems to be made of 4 pieces of ash.
  9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    clearing up the solid wood question. a "solid-wood" body simply means that it is not plywood or fibreboard. Fenders and even warmoth bodies are mostly more than one piece of the same type of wood glued together. At warmoth you actually pay a bit more for a body made from one piece of wood. The question is, what kind of wood, and maybe how many pieces.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most bass bodies are made of two pieces of wood glued together.
  11. with all the routing that has to be done for the bass tremolo, would using an unfinished (eg. warmoth) body, routing it, then finishing it, be better than risk chipping the finish on the Essex body?
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Why not by Modulus or Status that is based on the Jazz body. Ive seen both go for around $1100. Swap out the pickguard and buta bing buta boom.

It will end up costing the same. If not less.

Leave out the tremolo, your only looking for trouble. :):D