Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex five string....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oddman545, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Well...It's getting that time for me to be looking into a new bass. I plan to keep my old one and get another new one. I want to get into playing a five stringer but I need a cheap quality one first. Then maybe I'll save up or something and get a really nice Yamaha or something. But for right now, what do you guys think of the Essex 5 string bass? I'd get the sunburst because I think it looks cool, but soundwise and money, is it worth it? Is it a good beginner 5 string? Well, that's all my questions, and here's the link to it: http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849|940496&PRID=803549

Thanks,
    Mike

2. I can't comment on the Essex basses, as I haven't bought one yet (I am sure others will comment) I picked up a Brice 6 string fretless from the same people just to see if I liked fretless without spending a ton. The quality for the price was excellent. My only complaint is the electronics. Pure Mud. I can't get good tone out of it to save my life. As an introduction to a new style of playing, you can't go wrong (for the price).

My $0.02

Pete

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    don't know about the 5 but I got the Essex Jazz bass and it is great. You wouldn't believe the quality of these basses for the price. When I decide to get a 5 I'll for sure get an Essex.

I would go for it if I were you.:D

4. Ok. Cool. I'll look into it a bit more, but I think I am going to end up getting one. Thanks...