Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essex fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Apr 26, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i know this topic has been beaten to death but i was wondering if essex basses are worth it. ive heard wonderful and bad reviews of it. ive been pondering a new bass, and i would really love a Fender MM Sig, but i really cant afford it. ive also been thinking about getting a fretless and/or 5 string and this seems to be the perfect way to do it.

ive heard that the b string can be weak, but isnt that generally a problem with all cheaper 5 strings? are the fretlines in the right places? ive also heard that there could be some construction issues and the bass would need to be setup soon after arrival. ive searched on the topics but people usually start talking about it but never come to a conclusion. also, are flatwound strings required on fretless or would i be able to switch to roundwound?

my band plays prog/funk/rock type music thats kinda hard to describe. i currently use a rockbass corvette 4 and i like the tone, but sometimes it doesnt record too well or fit too well into the band situation. im looking for a warmer sound, but not really boomy, just like more low end with an even sound and not too trebly. i dont have any music stores in my area (that i know of) that stock any essex basses so i cant go try one out. any and all opinions on the subject are appreciated, and feel free to flame for being too lazy to search too deeply.

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've played the Marcus Miller looking Essex 5 string fretless and it doesn't have any lines on it. The one I played didn't.

Also, are you sure you want a fretless or fretless 5, for that matter? B strings on fretless basses are usually not very useful. Very muddy, IMO.

I'd say check out the SJB-75 they have. It's like a MM fretted 4/5.

-Eric.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW my experience with the B strings on my inexpensive fretless basses has been outstanding.

If you're looking into a 5 string fretless Essex I recommend the BG-205. The BG basses surprised me when I went to Rondo in person. Nicer than most of the Fender copies, almost on par with the Brices.