Essex GAS and Plans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, May 26, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've been hearing all sorts of good things about Essex basses. I decided to go on Rondo and I saw the one I want. The Vintage wood colored J-bass with the sexy block inlays and metal stuff (ash tray) and the finger rest (for playing thumb.) Now i've got a question. If I get this, i'm for sure taking the metal stuff off, but would the drill holes look really bad? Also, I would eventually get new pickups. Now I want the Tim Commerford Overdrive/Geddy Lee Overdrive sound and I know I can't get it from just the pickups, but what are some good reccomendations? I would be slapping and using a a pick too, this would have to be a pretty versatile bass.

I would get a D-tuner too. :hyper:

Thanks for the help.
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    drop dimarzio model j's in for sure. empty screw holes don't look that bad, if they really bother you, you can probably fill them and put a little epoxy or varnish on them.
  3. imjammin

Mar 13, 2005
    No need to fill holes now- there aren't any!!!
    Check out the new SX SJB-75 just listed.

I've got one on order, I can't wait to give the SX a try after everything I've read about them! :hyper:
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The thing is, i'm a black pickguard/block inlay fan. :)
  5. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    paint the pickgaurd black?
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm gonna ignore that comment...
  7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'm trying to get the exact same sx bass, nat/black pg/black blocks

I'll probably keep the bridge cover on, remove the other ashtray, replace the electronics with a pre-wired bartonlini pre and either SD hotstacks or DM model J's.

This is pretty similar to my MiM jazz that I already have, except I have DM Ultra J's and a rosewood board.

A bart pre really adds a good spin on the setup. I can dial up all sorts of nice growl with it.
  8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    OMG man that had me on the floor. It's so funny it hurts!
  9. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    honestly... I don't know what's so funny hahaha...
  10. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    That 75 is just awesome. A different look to the other one, and I can't decide which I like more!

Although I'd take the burst with a tort pickguard over both of them, personally. Nice old school look, replace the pots, bridge, and p/ups and it'd be one nice playing and sounding bass!

Now you've given me GAS. :mad:
  11. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Yeah, why not!

I've repainted and modified TONS of pickguards with good result! ;)
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    because the paint chips and looks bad ...
  13. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Not if you take your time doing it rigth!

Let's say you have a white pickguard and want it to be black. Just sand it down to a matte finish, clean it and spray 3-4 coats of your color of choice spray paint on it. Sand it with some 500 grit sandpaper, and finish off with a clear coat!

14. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've been thinking about getting an SX for the past few weeks, but I didn't like the ash tray on the 75C. I could probably borrow the money I'd need to afford that ($10 plus shipping costs)... I've been wanting a J bass... and I love that look...
  15. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Here is how mine looks without the guards and thumbrest. I took the picture and it is being played by a friend of mine.

I installed Bart jazz pickups and it sounds real good. The ash and maple are a real bright combo but the barts give the tone a little more meat.
  16. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I contacted support in regards to getting the burst version of the 75C, anf they told me that they are due in mid summer.

I really just want the neck, actually. I have a bass where that would really worlk well, but they don't sell that neck alone. :bawl:
  17. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You can just take them off. :spit: I'm sure the small screw-holes would be seen from even ten feet away.

I've also been told mid-summer by Kurt, and I'm wondering when exactly that means (could be anywhere from July to late August). I wonder what other models and colors they'll get in stock then. That's the only thing stopping me from getting one now.
  18. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I just picked up one from another TB'er, but that's probably a one time deal. It's very nice. :cool:

Glenn D.
  19. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    My Essex 75 (natural finish) and maple Precision neck are due in this thursday / friday. I'm also getting some inlay done on the headstock, and fretwork done, if necessary.

Will post pics once up.
  20. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Hook us up.

On a side note, you're from Australia... do you pronounce "Nice" like "NOICE"?