1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essex guitars Spain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, May 2, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a uncontroable GAS for a 75' style jazz, and i know SX make one.

so i sent SX guitars spain this email

"I am very interested in buying a SX VJB75C bass, however I am unable to find a dealer of this model in the UK, Do you ship to the UK or have any UK dealers?"

and they replied with this

"WE DO NOT HAVER DEALERS IN YOUR COUNTRY AT THIS MODEL
    WE CAN SEND FROM OUR HUGE WAREHOUSE FULL OF STOCK IN SPAIN.

THIS MODEL IS OUT OF STOCK. IT WILL COME A BUNCH IN 40 DAYS TIME.

PLEASE CONTACT US THEN.

THANKS
    Andres"

I know these people are spainish, but their english sounds like one of these "give me your bank account details for me to wire money to you" scams, with the capital letters and spelling/grammar mistakes.

has anyone imported something from SX spain, how much was shipping and tax, and also are these guys reliable?

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As far as I know they are legit. A few people have talked about basses they have received from them so im pretty sure they are reliable. I would defiently go for it if I was you. Makes me think if maybe they would ship me an SX Stingray 5er, hmmmmmmm.

3. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I e-mailed them to see if they would about a month ago....Im still waiting on a response!

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    spelling and grammar are highly overrated

i would think that if you emailed them to the address at their webside it would be legit

dont you have a free trade agreement with countries of the europen union?

i didnt know they charge import/export taxes within EU countries

anyhow best of lucks to you, donutman:hyper:

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

hehe, im 14 so i have absloutly NO idea, i have emailed them back asking about shipping+taxes

I know www.thomann.de ships everything for 7 euros and everything is calculated with tax

but a SX with 20 euro shipping a 17.5% VAT still isnt very expsensive

6. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Yup, UK has a free trade agreement with other European but i am not sure if it's ALL European countries or if it is just some. If UK does have a free trade agreement with Spain, then all you pay for is the price of the bass plus shipping :) Isn't that nice! :D:D:D

Is there a price list somewhere on the website for the basses? I can't seem to find any prices on the website...

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You still pay customs and import duty on top of the price of the bass plus shipping - as we are both in the EU , VAT is already included in prices.

There have been previous threads on this - if you do a search - where people have detailed the % paid along with examples of basses they have imported.

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Bruce, are you sure you have to pay import taxes to ship from Spain to the UK?

Regarding their english, it's rather poor on that message, try writing in spanish and you'll get a better answer:bag:

Just joking:D

9. Yes, horrible english but they're quick with replying and seem to be nice in general.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry Bruce, but it's wrong.

If you import from another EU country, you don't have to pay customs.
    If you are importing from a non-EU country, you have to pay the EU customs.
    Also, you have to pay the VAT of the country you purchase from, and that is different with each of them. Eg there's 16% in Germany, looks like there's 17,5% in Spain and we now have 20%.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I may have got the wrong one there - so I was definitely charged duty importing from EU Countries - is it called "Excise Duty" - not customs duty ? I was also charged for opening and holding packages.

There have been long threads about this anyway - detailing the charges and providing links to the official sites.

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's strange. Since Maastricht, you shouldn't be charged customs when importing from a EU country.

13. I'm Spanish. I have lived in Spain, the UK (on and off for 6 years), France (4 years) and Germany (2 and a half years so far). I have bought stuff from Germany when I was in Spain, from the UK when I was in France, all combinations. Not once did I pay anything other than the normal price of the item plus shipping. Just be aware that it's very common for Spanish companies to quote their prices exclusive of VAT (16% in Spain), which of course you will have to pay, so whatever they quote, do ask them whether it includes VAT or not.

I'm a bit embarrased to say this but their English is not so bad by Spanish standards. Up until 1975 we had a 40 year's dictatorship where each and every film was dubbed so the official censorship could tweak the versions to their taste. The language the overwhelming majority of people studied in school was French. You may think that was a long time ago, but people are very resistant to change: films in original version with subtitles are still a rarity in Spain. People study mostly English nowadays but whenever you work in a place with people of different nationalities who understand each other in English, it's always the Spanish ones that struggle the most. So don't read too much into their bad English.

Edit: I just remembered a funny one re. dubbed films and censorship: in Mogambo (the one with Clark Gable and Ava Gardner that takes place in the jungle) there's a married couple and the wife cheats on his husband with some other guy. They thought adultery was a bit too much to show, so they removed all the scenes between the husband and wife with kisses or anything hinting that they were a couple and changed the words to turn them into a brother and sister!

14. Just to repeat what's already been mentioned, you don't pay import tax on transactions between EU countries.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I think the point is that customs don't check everything that goes through - just a random sample - so as more and more stuff is bought through the internet you have a smaller chance...

But if it gets stopped and opened in the UK customs - they will make a charge for doing that and storing the item while they do it ... it's happened to me...:(

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Every package I received from abroad was opened, checked and resealed. (is this a reason for paranoia? :smug: ) but I didn't have to pay for it. However, I had to pay storage fees with Fedex and customs handling fees when importing.

17. Bruce Lindfield

That's probably what I got charged then...?