Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 22, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i know some of you (Nino?) have had experience with the essex basses, mostly positive, right? i'm wondering if the guitars are just as good for the $$$.

[​IMG]

maple board, alder body... $109 bucks. seems like with new pickups the thing would SMOKE. any thoughts?

so far it looks like the best seriously cheap guitar you can buy - i just wish they made a strat copy :(

jason

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an Essex Jazz bass. I put some modifications into her & for UNDER $300 I have a bass that IMO, is better then the Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz. I'm comparing it to this bass because my Essex bass has an active pre amp. The only down side is that the bass is kinda heavy.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I chime in here too, cause i'm in the market for a cheap guitar [$220 & under] and saw the essex guitars on some webpage that was linked from here. Are they worth the $$$ like the earlier post said? thats all

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    they have gerat lloknig fender knockoff and they are very cheap, i like their basses. i'd like to try one of them.
    nino, is your bass solid wood? is the neck the truss rod adjustable? i can't see it from the pics, is it under the pickguard?
    thanks

5. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I played one once (a strat copy one) it was an ok beginners guitar, but it needed fretwork. All of them did. No biggie.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Marco, The body is a 3 peice, solid ash body. The truss rod adjustment nut is by the headstcok.

7. Has anyone played any one of the les paul type guitars. They look good and look like have have fairly good hardware.
    Can anyone give any info?

8. They've got some recorded samples on their website.

9. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Just FYI, all bodies on Essex and Agile are solid (no Samick/Fender plywood or laminates) Most are multi-piece bodies, not one piece. The tele copy posted above now comes with a black pickguard.

Kurt
    Rondo Music

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if they were really available here in italy i'd buy a jazz and a P. the P for flat strings.