Essex Inquiries....SX SJB-75 vs. SX SJB-62MG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm debating (and Gassing) between these two basses:

Sunburst '75

LP Blue '62

I was wondering: Do these basses have different pickup locations?

I remember reading that 60s Fender Jazz pups are placed differently than 70s Fender Jazz pups. If i recall correctly, 70s Fender pickups are closer to the bridge, or at least the bridge pup is. Is this the same on SX basses?

Also, I would like to know how brilliant the LP blue is, as well as how good the Sunburst looks. My disfunctional PC monitor only utilizes about 4 colors at a time, so I can't get an accurate look here at home.

And now to further lengthen my post, my list of thoughts include the fact that while the 62 has a matching headstock which I really like the look of, the 75 has a maple neck with black blocks.

Also, I like the fact that the 75 already has the black PG i would have installed anyway, along with the chrome pickups covers, although I'll end up removing the bridge cover.

I wish I could buy both, but the budget of a minor doesn't allow for that right now. :bawl:

Any thoughts?
  2. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Ive been to the Rondo shop and have spent time playing both. I liked the SB 75 better but there is not a whole lot of difference between the two. Your talking about the same basic level of construction and same electronics. That being said Ive played two of the SB 75's and found them to be different. I would say go with which one you think looks best.

The SB75 is pretty cool looking I think.
  3. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVE the 75, i wish i had some extra cash to buy one.
  4. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

Yeah, that 75 is one sexy beast. I've dug that one for a good while now, just don't need another beater bass.
  5. Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I have the SJB-62MG in "Lake Placid Blue" and it is one fine beast. I'm playing my Brice Z 6 string more these days, but I'm planning on replacing the bridge on the SJB-62MG soon to get it operational (I was a bit aggressive changing the string height on the stock bridge and I kind of stripped out the hex nuts...)

As far as the color is concerned, the blue is a very sparkley turquois.
  6. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have a the 62 in sunburst and the film flame looks good...i also have an SX- P in 3TS and it looks real when you look at it deeper than the 62. The 62 growls and has a great jazz sound i wont change a thing in it.
  7. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Would anybody like to go so far as to actually answer the man's question?

I've been wondering this myself.
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I doubt they have different pickup locations.
  9. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  10. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
  11. oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Five-year old thread. But I guess the info is still valid.