Essex Jazz 5 graphite reinforced?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I took the pickgaurd off my Essex SJB 62 4+1 bass and noticed two dark squares on the heel under the fretboard on either side of the truss rod.I took the neck off and sure enough they were there.They measure about 3/8"square.The only explanation I can think of is graghite bars.Anybody know if this is the case?
  2. Surely there's another explanation! This is interesting...I'll be checking in to see what's up.
  3. You might get more of a clue if you were to take a probe and see if you can scrape a little from one of the squares. At least you could determine if it's wood, plastic, or another material.
  4. I highly doubt that Essex has graphite reinforced necks. It is probably lower quality neck construction, like a different wood. I could also be wrong; nowadays I find that cheaper basses are putting some features traditionally featured on higher end basses.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Perhaps it's walnut? I think graphite would be far too expensive to use in such inexpensive basses. Can you post a picture?
  6. RESURECTING AN OLD THREAD. ...cue maniacal laughter....anyone ever get an answer on this...phxlbrmpf???