Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Jazz Bass - Need Help w/Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lovin Bass, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Everyone,

These forums are great. I can search and usually find what I am looking for....However, sometimes I can't find the same thing twice. Here is my case:

Somewhere I thought I read that the routs on an Essex Jazz Bass will not accept a standard sized Jazz pickup replacement. Also, I understand that Fenders use unequal length pickups. This is new territory for me.

Can anyone who owns an Essex Jazz respond and clear this up for me and whether replacement pickups will be hard to find and without any routing to be done? Will the Essex take any standard replacement/upgrade pickup (EMG, Bartolini, Seymor Duncans, Fender, etc.)? Are the pickups on the Essex bass also unequal in length like the fenders and are the routs unequal?

Thank you. I appreciate your efforts.

2. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    The pickguard on the SX will not accept a standard J pickup. You'll have to find a replacement pickguard. Be aware that you'll have to do a little sanding on the neck pocket of any aftermarket pickguard you get to get it to fit, and you'll have to redrill the screw holes. A few minutes with the ol' Dremel and it was good to go. The SX also uses unequal length pickups, ala Fender. The bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck, to allow for the wider string spacing. A standard J pickup set (neck and bridge pickup) should fit in the SX with a new pickguard. Hope this helps.

(P.S. This should probably be in Pickups)

3. I have a bass with an Essex Jazz body which has DiMarzio Ultrajazz pickups, a Fender neck, Fender pickguard, J-retro preamp, and what Roy said in the above post is on the button. You can fit any of the aftermarket Jazz style pickups, but the guard will need modifying, or preferably replacing.

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thank you for the replies. You both have answered my question. I was concerned about the body needing to be routed. If the body required routing, I would pass on the budget bass appeal.

Re-working the pickguard is do-able and will probably just give me motivation to buy a pickguard blank from Stewart-Mac and create my own personal guard that no one else will have. Purely original.

All I need to do is figure out where to put the propane tank and my bass will breathe fire! How's that for original. And yes, I am kidding.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Just to reinforce what the others said, I have an LPB SX jazz with SD Hot Jazz pickups in it. No routing required for me, dropped right in. Pickguard required some modifying (quickie job with my soldering iron, but it works for me - no need to impress anyone with that one. :) )