Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Jazz Bass pickup sizes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Dec 31, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, I searched for this but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if the Essex Jazz basses have the smaller neck pickup routing like the USA Fenders, or is it the same size as the bridge pickup routing like the MIM Fenders?

I'm looking to get my hands on an Essex (or maybe even a Brice, so the question applies to the Brice models as well), and want to do the usual pickup/bridge upgrades.

Has any one put Dimarzio Model J (DP123) into an Essex or Brice? Did you have to do any routing or resizing of the pickup routes?

Thanks.

2. I *believe* the neck pickup rout is of different size (I think it's smaller). Don't quote me on this though as I do not have an Essex. You may be able to get more info in the "Setup" forum since this question is more along that forum's lines. You can also try to search in the Essex megathread itself since this is probably covered in there somewhere.

3. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I haven't looked at the routing, but the bridge pickups in my Essex Jazz are 3.700 long and the neck pickups are 3.600 long.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    When I had an essex (Lake Placid Blue w/ matching headstock one) I put a set of Seymour Duncan Basslines Hot Jazz Pickups in it with no modifications to the body.

Ferwhatitsworth.

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, since you asked..... yep, I've done exactly that, dropped a pair of Dimarzio DP123 (Model J) into an Essex Jazz.

Yes, the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck pickup (just like the set that comes in the Essex), and the DiMarzios go right in with no mods to the body.

The only modification you'll have to make is to the pickguard; you'll find that it doesn't quite fit around the shoulders for the pickup mounting screws. Nothing that a few minutes with a rat-tail file can't take care of.

BTW - the Model J's sound phenomenal when wired in series.... :cool:

6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey BigBeefDog... would you happen to have any sound clips of the Dimarzio DP123s?

Also, those Dimarzios are quad-coil, right? Am I right in thinking they provide you with schematics for wiring these "both series", "both parallel", or individually parallel or series?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FWIW, the pickups on the Brice Douglas 5 string jazz bass that I picked up new a few weeks ago are both the same size as each other, the size of the NECK pickup on a Fender Jazz 5. I measured them out, and though I don't remember the exact number right off-hand, the neck sizes of the Duncan Basslines Jazz 5 replacements match them perfectly. You'll just need to order two NECK versions, instead of a matched pair which usually come with a slightly longer bridge pickup.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Afraid no sound clips, Slowburnaz.... sorry.

Yep, the DP123's are the four-wire dudes, and Dimarzio does provide a schematic to connect them individually parallel and series (uses two microswitches). However, I didn't take mine that far. When I got my pups, I simply soldered the white and black leads together from each pup, wired them in the usual two-lead configuration to the control pots (standard Jazz Bass wiring). Then, after toying with the "series" idea for a while, I disconnected the neck pup hot lead from it's vol pot, and the bridge pup ground lead from it's vol pot, and tied them together. Instant deep & woody sound - as soon as I plugged back in, my wife noticed the change immediately, and she had no idea what I was tinkering with, or what results I was anticipating.

Then, I decided I wanted both options, so I added a push-pull 250K DPDT pot in the tone position - which allows me to switch between the standard J-bass wiring and the series arrangement described above, without changing the appearance of the bass.

I think of it as a P/J - using the push/pull switch, I can have either a jazz sound, or a deep, dark, BEEFY tone that even my Precisions can't provide. :bassist: