Essex much $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 7, 2004.

1. How much would my mint condition Essex Jazz (Fretless/ LP Blue) 4 string bass sell for at the local guitar center?

Can you guys give me an estimate? Im trying to get around 90-100US for it,but I wont go lower than that.

It does have some jack problems which could be solved with a soddering iron in minutes.

An estimate is all im looking for,thanks
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GC wont give you that much. You'd be better off with ebay or here.
  3. But I dont wanna deal with the hassle of shipping out/recieving the $$. I plan on buying a bass there(GC),do you think they'd take that into consideration when buying it?
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't think an SX would have much a resale valule. For an extra $20 you could get a brand new one.

You're better off just mod-ing it.
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    GC will prolly give you about 20 bucks because they want to ensure they screw you while at the same time screwing whoever buys it. The best way for them to do this is to give you jack squat, i.e. the 20 bucks, thereby enraging you to the point where you just take the money out of frustration and then they'll sell it to some yahoo for 120 who doesn't know what it is but his kid keeps hollering at him for a new toy he can break or can beat his little brother with. In this way Guitar Center will have screwed you, screwed the next guy, and have been a third party participant to domestic abuse between siblings. Isn't GC wonderful?

God I'm sick....

6. eep... :bag:

If they offer $20 for it,I'll be riding home with 2 basses instead of one. (I want to sell my SX and purchase a OLP MM-3) the reasons I am selling it is because I rarely,rarely play it,it has jack problems,and I dont really see myself playing a fretless at band practice
  7. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    For the little $ they would give you , you would be better off holding on to it . Maybe sell it on your own down the line also you may regret selling it in a year or so .
  8. I hate when im playing with it,I go to swing around my chair,or re-position my right leg or the bass itself and get the bad feedback noise and have it either play loud as crap or barely at all. I need a soddering iron
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If it needs solder work, I'd be suprised if GC even gave you $20 for it. I'd say hang onto it for a while and fix it yourself, possibly do some cheap upgrades when something good comes your way and have a construction/backup bass
  10. Im playing it right now,the feel and sound are great,especially for the $140 I payed for it. It's a great looking instrument,it's just that Im not really a fretless player and that damned jack is noisy as all hell.
  11. You can get a soldering iron for cheap. I got a lil pack (soldering iron + solder) for like $10 at Home Depot. Just fix the input jack (I've done stuff like it before, its easy) and you'll be set.
  12. $10?! Wow...I hope prices are the same around here.

I took Welding in High-School too,so that should help too:)
  13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I hate a hassle as much as the next guy but I would sell it on my own if I were you. GC likely will not even buy it as it is a competitor's custom brand and that seems like bad advertising ot me.

Best to post it on ebay or the TB classifieds and suck up the headache of cashing a bank check and shipping. Just be sure to keep the original box of the OLP so that you can ship the SX in it. Otherwise you can spend a pretty penny on shipping materials.

Good luck.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    If you don't have a soldering iron, most folks who do setups will install a new jack for $15 (including the jack). I've had it done to an old bass a couple of times.

Also, you're not too likely to get $100 for a used bass when you can buy a brand new one that can be sent back if something's wrong for only $29 more.
  15. Thanks alot. I think I am gonna lean to keeping the SX(fixing it in time) and just splurging on the OLP. I know I probably wont play the SX much at all,but Its worth more than a 20 to me.