Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Jazz owners- What's under the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Oct 24, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm probably going to buy one or two of the Essex Jazz basses, and I'm interested in stripping at least one to use without a pickguard. Maybe even do some sort of wooden Tele-shape control plate (without the corners where the J-plate meets the pg- that way it doesn't look like something's missing) to replace the metal one. My question is, what does the rout under the pickguard look like? Does it conform to the shape of the pup, like the bridge rout, or is it just a big square hole? Also, has anyone stripped one of these alder J-bodies? How'd it turn out? Thanks in advance.

2. there's a cavity that goes from the front pickup all the way to where the control plate is , it's called front routing fender does this on P-bass and on some jazzes

3. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, that rules out the no-pickguard idea... I can still do a refinish, and have a (hopefully) natural-finish four. Thanks for the reply.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The natural finish of a $200 bass might be dissapointing

5. thats funny, because my essex wasn't like that, it wasn't rear-routed, but not really as routed out as a fender in front. maybe the $119 essex jazzes are really routed out in front...i got a BG-150, which was a 75 jazz bass copy. i really liked it, but had to sell it.