Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sbasssman, Jul 8, 2002.

1. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    There have been many threads on the Essex
    basses. Let's use this thread to post actual mods to Essex basses that worked easily. Please post the Essex bass model, along with the part number of the part you added. Thanks.

2. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    No takers.
    I know there are many posts on Essex mods, but it would be really helpful to consolidate mods that worked in one thread here. It sure sounds like many people bought and modified Essex basses. Mine is on the way.

3. Hey man!!! didn't Nino Brown do some mods to his Essex?

4. Mine should get here tomorrow! At first, I'm gonna keep it stock and see how it plays. I've got a new bridge for it, soI'll probably end up slapping that on there. Depending on how much routing was done for the neck pick up, I might convert it into a PJ setup with EMGs. I'm saving up for a j-retro preamp, too. I'm also thinking about getting a fretless graphite neck, but I'm not sure about that yet.

but since I'm totally broke, none of those mods are likely to happen for a few months, or maybe til next year. I've got two projects on the shelf right now, held back due to lack of funds.

Fetch, Nino did mod his essex. He put a BAII on it, and EMG selects, with a preamp. I don't recall which pre he put in there, but he says it sounded awesome.

5. Hey Chaos... the neck routing is pretty extensive i with about an inch or so on each side i think......

im putting a Gotoh 206 bridge on mine when it comes in... then eventually putting barts in it....

6. Cool, so I shouldn't have any problems dropping in precision pups then? Hmmm... now all I need is a jazz pickguard for precision pups.

Probably have to get a custom job.

7. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    Hey chaos just curious where did you get your parts

8. So far the ony part I changed on the Essex was the bridge. I got a gotoh 201 on ebay for cheap, $13.00 + shipping. It came out to $19 even.

The routing wasn't as extensive as I had hoped, so I'll have to route out the cavity if I want to put in a P pick up. I think I'll leave it as JJ and just get better pups, a preamp, and black pickguard. I'm considering getting an Essex P, because I'm having a tough time getting adjusted to the slim neck of the jazz.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Lake Placid Blue Jazz w/matching headstock. I changed the:

Bridge to a BadAss II
    pickups to Select by EMG
    pickguard to 3 ply black
    installed an Aguilar OBP-1 pre amp

10. Watch out here. The neck on the Essex P I setup was only 1/16 of an inch larger than my Fender J's. You might not find them as comfortable as you expect.

11. Aw, shucks. Maybe I'll look into a Warmoth job. I'll probably just grin and bear it. I'm sure i'll get used to it soon enough.

12. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    :confused:
    Whats a pre amp
    :confused:
    I dont know much

13. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    I have now have my Essex Jazz for several days, and it already feels like a cool old pair of jeans. All I can say is I hope I get another one purchased before Rondo Music changes their mind on the price. The natural Jazz basses are georgeous.
    My fretless sings beautifully - without any mods*. I'm one happy camper on that purchase.

<*I did do some major setup work on it, and even sanded the fretboard, but I haven't changed any pups or hardware.>

14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey guys...

Do any of Essex owners know if the BG-150 has 21 frets or 20 frets? The picture shows 21 frets, but the description says 20 frets. Confusing, eh?

15. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Well if in the picture it has 21 then...it has 21.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have an Essex-BG205. It used to buzz when near the amp, so I removed the red wires from the center pot terminal, grounded everything to one pot casing, and shielded the entire cavity with aluminum foil. It is quiet now and I don't predict any other mods in the near future. I'd like an OBP, but there really is nothing wrong with the passive tone. I'm gassing for one of the jazz clones but I have too many 4 strings.

17. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    Um What s a pre amp:confused: :confused:

18. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    BillyBishop: The reason I was asking is becuase they (www.rondomusic.com) also have a fretless that they sell. The picture shows a *fretted* bass, while the description is clearly of a fretless bass. The pictures apparently *don't* describe the basses.

19. You've got mail!!

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    >Um What s a pre amp

A preamp is a circuit that boosts and/or shapes your signal. Some are installed inside the bass, others live in racks. Bass Amp Heads and Combos have built-in preamps, most Power Amps do not. Some people use multiple preamp stages.