Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex necks...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibeam, Dec 25, 2002.

1. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I'm looking at picking up the essex jazz bass, but I really want to put a graphite neck on it. I emailed Kurt and he told me that sx necks are not exactly the same as the fender, so getting a moses or status graphite neck that is supposed to be a fender replacement would probably not work. Still, on this forum, I've seen a couple of people who've changed the neck. So whats the story here?

2. doooonnnn'tttttt!!!:(

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    don't like the graphite?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you want a graphite necked bass why not just get a Warmoth body and start from there?

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Peace
    Nick

6. Why do you feel the need to change the neck? An SX can be made into a pretty reasonable bass with some simple mods, and none of them involve great expense.
    1; change the pots to good quality 250k pots, such as those marketed by Ernie Ball or DiMarzio.
    At the same time, do a good copper shielding job on the cavity, making sure everything is earthed, and redo all solder joints. Also change the output socket to a Switchcraft.
    2; get a good luthier to do a fret levelling and dressing, followed by a full setup with top quality strings, such as D'Addario XLs. If you dont have the knowledge to do step 1 yourself, get the luthier to do it also.
    These mods will make your SX, or any other inexpensive Jazz type bass, play like butter and be totally reliable. There is nothing wrong with the SX neck, or bridge, or pickups, or tuners, and it's only the misinformed who feel the need to change everything. In fact, if you spend several days (!!) reading the Essex Megathread (LOL) you will find some folks there who reckon the SX is a good recording bass.

7. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Marty made some good points, if you buy your essex, give the neck a chance...

But if after giving it a chance it bothers you, then I would try to find out more about possible replacements. For me, the essex neck is too massy for me to play comfortably and restricts my ability. Then again, I have small hands, playing on a Standard MIM Jazz and then playing my essex, I realize that it's neck is substantially thicker. Do what you need to do.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Unless you are lucky and find a good used one the graphite neck's going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ anyway. Why put a high dollar neck on a cheap Chinese bass? I mean Essex makes good stuff from what I've read here, but putting a graphite neck on there seems like mega-overkill. If you absolutely have the undefeatable jones for the feel of graphite look for a used Peaver G-Bass or B-Quad on Ebay. You'll get a hell of a better bass than an Essex with replacement neck.

9. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    This seems to be a common request, so we are going to be comming out with some bodies and necks that more closely conform to what is on the squire guitars and basses. Should have by Feb. 2003

Kurt
    Rondo Music

10. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Well, the reason I want to do this is because I really want to do a warmoth jazz body and start from there, but the cheapest warmoth painted bodies are at least 235 dollars, and for less than half that I can have an entire bass and spend the money on upgrades slowly.

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Gotcha, maybe eventually even change out the body, right? Sounds like a cool project. As long as you don't expect to get a penny of your investment back when you eventually sell the pieces, you can end up having a lot of fun with a cool project and making a nice bass in the process. I've done this a couple times and it's very educational and fun. An Essex would be the perfect starting point for this kind of endeavor.