Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex owners - post mods you've made.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike A, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Well... since my girl left me, I decided to buy myself an SJB-62 (lp blue of course) with the cash that was to be spent on her... feels good :).

What I'm looking for here is any and all mods made by TB'ers who OWN an Essex/SX bass and a little about why you did it and the outcome (would you do it again if given the opportunity).

I have several ideas in mind already, but I wanted to see what kinda common changes are being made to these low-priced beauties.

[Note: I'm not looking for opinions on the basses themselves... I don't care :). I have one on the way, I'll decide myself. ...And yes, I've read the megathread.. all of it]

2. if only you could have back the money you already spent, huh?

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'd gladly let her keep the money, if I could have my 2.5 years back... fair enough, no?

4. I have an SX BG-80 P-bass clone.

I put a Fender 62 P-bass pickup and the bridge/tuners from my MIM Jazz on it. Also a new pickguard as the one that came on it was a little wavy. sounds great.

5. I have the one with the matching red headstock (P-Bass clone). I put SD Quarter Pounders in, replaced the wires and pots, and put on a Badass II bridge. SOunds like a P. I think I will change the tuners and that's it.

6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have a SJB-62. My only gripe about the stock bass is the holes in the bridge are too small for a 105 E-string. So I changed it to a Badass II. I have a BG-80 sunburst on the way, and I already have a replacement bridge from a MIM Fender I'm going to put on it. Hopefully Kurt will read this thread and start putting bridges on his basses that can accomodate larger strings.

GS

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was going to hot rod my blue 62, but after recording with it, I decided to leave it be.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Cool, thanks for all the info so far fellas... one other thing... What kinda strings did you slap on 'em?
    (I assume no one left the stock D'Addario's on?)

9. I'm pretty sure they come stock with Fender strings. D'Addario is a good string. I have the Slo-Wounds on mine, with the tapered B-string but, while they sound good, they are a pain to put on. If you use the through-body feature of the bridge, they are too short and you have to strip the material from the tips. Also, the material is different colours and looks EXTRA stupid so I pulled it all off. The B-string itself is too short to thread through the body so I put it on normally. If you are getting the MIM model then this wont be a problem. This is only with the D'Addario slowounds.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I put SIT Powerwounds on mine.

11. I've got 2 Essex SJB-62 basses, one black, one red.

On the black one, I swapped the thin jazz neck for a solid maple P neck, and changed up to a bigger bridge.
    Outcome: bigger bridge helped with sustain, but mainly I did it for cosmetics. The maple neck now fits my hands better, and it really brought out the mids. Very Geddy Lee.

On the red one, I pulled the neck pup, and added in a P pick up. I also added a P bass bridge cover, and got a custom pickguard. Jazz bodied PJ!
    Outcome: I love this bass! The tonal range is unreal! I get the good growl with the bridge jazz pup solo'ed, and I get the deep gut wrenching P sound with the neck solo'ed. With both pups on, it gets the best of both

12. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Got any pics?