Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex P to P + MM???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Jul 27, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well pretty soon here I'm going to be buying an Essex SPB62QMG which I must say looks very nice. I'm first going to change the pick-up to a Seymour Duncan (either vintage or another one I forget not the quarter pounder though), but I was wondering if any of you think it'd be a good idea to modify it and add a MM style pick-up. I think it'd be cool but from the looks of the bass I'm not sure if theres enough space and the MM pickup would be too close to the bridge... I'm not sure what other modification I would have to do... but I imagine there would be some wiring involved as well? Any help is much appreciated.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
  3. I'm pretty sure a MM humbucker would be a bit too big to fit the space. Look for AllodoX's Mr. P, he did something similar with a Squier Bullet bass, adding a humbucker with the P.

Look into a smaller Humbucker, other than the MM type. That would fit better.

You would have to get some routing work done (obvioulsy) and depending on how you want the pups wired in, you have a lot of options. If you keep it passive, yu could have two volume (one for each pup) and a master tone. Then you would have to make another hole for the output jack.

Like I said, you've got a lot of options. Post the tpye of pick up wiring and i'll help you out as much as I can.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's enough room to fit an MM pickup if you slide it closer to the bridge. and if you're more concerned with getting a great tone as opposed to having an authentic P or MM tone, i think it'd work great. the mm pickup closer to the bridge will add plenty of bite while the P pickup provides the thump.

5. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i was thinking about making that very modification to my yamaha RBX260 and im hoping it will sounfd as good as i expect. i looked into it a bit adn to have a space routed out and to have it wired would pobably be around $100-$200. let me know if you decide to go through with it. good luck