Essex P + Warmoth Fretless Neck = Fretless P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabid_granny, May 8, 2003.

1. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a fretless for practice and fun. I figure it's better to start learning fretless now rather than later. Since I like the Precision tone more than the Jazz, I was thinking of getting an Essex P and getting a replacement fretless neck and some replacement pickups.

Anyone know how a fretless Precision sounds? I've only tried a Jaco Jazz replica at the store.

Can anyone recommend some inexpensive (and passive, if possible) fretless basses that are worth investigating?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fretless Essex, and I believe Essex makes both fretless Js and Ps...
  3. I didn't see that in the fretless section so I have also flipped them an email. Anyone made a fretless P before?

Edit: Wow, quick email response from Rondo. They said they'll be in around June or July. I replied to get more info.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yeah, Fender made one.
  5. I'll net if you checked all the usual used gear places, I bet you would find a used Peavey Foundation fretless somewhere for less than $200. I suggest this because they're cheap, readily available and they sound really good. Plus if you didn't like it, you'd easily get your investment back.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You also may want to make sure that the Warmoth neck fits into the Essex neck joint properly. I think I read something on the Essex megathread about someone trying to do something similar, and found that Essex and Fender have different measurements for things like pickguard holes, and neck sockets.
  7. Are you referring to internet used gear places? I'm still skeptical about purchasing gear without playing them first.

May 7, 2003
    i was thinking the same thing today,i too made a frett-less p-bass and really dont like it as much as a j/bass,the sounds just not the same. i'm not saying i dont like it,it just does'nt have the 'J/BASS GROWL" its a good p-bass and i'm sorry i de-fretted it, now i know why the j/bass is the frett-less of choice:mad:
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That was me. I wanted to put my MIM Jazz neck on the SX P, but it was different. The neck was very loose in the pocket, and the frets didn't line up properly (the last fret was farther from the end of the fretboard, moving the frets farther away from the bridge).
  10. Actually, I like the P-bass tone more than the J-bass. I liked the sound sample posted by cjazz50 too.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Essex used to make a really cool fretless P with a maple board. It was really cool, and I'm glad they don't have them any more because I wanted to buy one and I need another bass like I need a hole in the head. Fretless P's are cool.
  12. Hello All:

Just a suggestion: order a precision body, routed for two jazz bass pickups. That is exactly what i did and i love it. I called warmoth and they will cut almost anything. I dont like the offset waist of the jazz bass. Its asymetric shape is not good to look at, at least for me. In the other hand I love the strat shape of the p-bass.

Now, this is a fretless. And we all know that the growl is in the bridge pick-up. P-basses don´t have it. P-bass is cool with the frets, but without them there is no mid-high that we all love. So, fretless got to have two pickups.

Instead of ordering a P-J bass, you just could order a p-bass body, routed for p-bass in the neck, and j-bass in the bridge (or p-bass in the brigde if you want), and there is your perfect p-bass fretless.

While you are at it, order the warmoth neck. I recomend that you use a hardwood for your fretboard. Is one of those fretless things... for it to growl, the string needs to be vibrating against something harder than maple. Besides, the strings will eat the maple... well, they will eat the frets eventually... Fretboard wood of choice for more than 90 per cent of the fretless in the world: EBONY. It just sounds great, and it is so hard that even roundwounds wont eat it anytime fast.

Best regards,

Carlos Peña
  13. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  14. In the dirt for almost 6 years !!!

15. that's some powerful juju
  16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
  17. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    He said they were out of 2003.
  18. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I've defreted a P bass if that counts. Just a silly shelf model thing, but a P bass nonetheless.