Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Pbass or MIM Fender. Which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redsoxfan_1978, Sep 9, 2004.

1. redsoxfan_1978

redsoxfan_1978

Aug 26, 2004
    Well which of these would you go with? Im just starting out on bass. The MIM Fenders seem like nice basses. But then again I wouldnt really know nice from not so nice. :p
    The Essex are very cheap for the quality you seem to get.

I have read on the Mega Thread and they seem to be very good basses for their purpose. The MIM Fenders are nice but around $300 at the local GC. Thats more than twice what an Essex cost not counting an amp which I will need. Is is worth the extra money? Thanks for any advice here.

John

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I've owned both, and both were good basses, but the overall quality of the Fender was better.

In my opinion, if you have the money, get the MIM P. I think you will get a better quality instrument that you can play for a long time. Also, if you can, go to the store and play as many as you can before you buy one, and get the one that sounds/feels the best.

You might also consider looking for a used MIM P in good shape (can be had for way less than $300) .

Hope this helps.

Don

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, a used MIM P for around $200 would be a good purchase. The bonus is that with the used MIM, you can get your money back when you decide to sell it.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go SX, for the lone reason that you cant get a maple fingerboard on a Fender and you can on an SX. I like P basses with maple fingerboards, therefore i have an SX p bass and not a MIM fender one.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used MIM P would be my choice too. Second would be a new MIM P, third would be the SX.

SX is good for the $$$, better than Squier, and the woods are on par with the MIM Fenders. But the fit & finish is not as good. And the stock electronics are not as good.

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The Essexes seem to be hit/miss. I have two good ones, and I believe them to be every bit as good as MIM's... but others relate different experiences.

Neither did I, when I was first starting on bass. But it makes it harder to buy used, as many suggest. Do you have an experienced bassist you can enlist to help you check out a bass before you buy?

Otherwise, it might be like buying a used car without a mechanic's advice.

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    If you live close enough to Rondo - go and try the SX - if not go with the Fender . I am close enough and went for the SX P over the Fender , but it is not my main bass and only picked it up to have a pbass .

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with embellisher about the SX's. Woods are fine, fit and finish/stock electronics arent great. Im changin the pups in my Essex to Godin ones that i took out of my Godin when i put Barts in. The godin ones are better than the SX ones, so i tihnk itll sound good. I also am changing the neck, just got a new one, but thats bc im gonig from fretless to fretted. I changed the pickguard, but thats just cosmetic. Other than that its okay.