Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Mar 23, 2003.

1. OK, here the dillio. (My first time saying that ^^)
    Once I get some money together, getting a Essex P is looking very tempting. So I ask of you ! What mod's would be a good addition as in a bridge and pickups ?

Also if you have any sound clips of the Essex P's of it modded or stock, please post them is possible.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you bassheads :)

-Serene

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    A lot fo the guys on the board don't botehr modding their essex basses. Woodchuck took his essex jazz to a recording session stock. I would play it before I moded non-cosmetic items. I have an SX jazz on the way and amd gonan swap otu the knobs, pickguard, that stuff, but from what i hear for electronics and pretty decent do I'll wait and see.

3. I picked up a red SPB62 in December 2002. I always switched back and forth between flatwound strings and roundwounds on my 78 Fender Precision. With the Essex, I could have both. I primarily use flats on the Fender, but sometimes I wanted the roundwound sound and feel. Now I keep rounds on the Essex and flats on the Fender.

I use the Essex stock. I take the Fender to about 2/3 of my jobs and the Essex to the remaining 1/3. I prefer the Fender, but the Essex is fun. It has a thinner neck, feels smaller and gets a lot of compliments. My antigua Fender gets few compliments.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i stuck a badass II bridge on it along with some joe osborn flats and it sounds even better than when it was stock, it didn't sound bad mind you. nothing else really needs changing as far as i am concerned...

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Here are some sound samples of my new SX P with the stock pickup and with the Fender Original '62 pickup I put in it. The stock pickup sounds surprisingly good. The Fender PU is warmer, but other than that they are voiced about the same.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/splatbass/index.html

6. Dodongo

Dodongo

Dec 16, 2001
    California
    im extremely happy with mine now that i have a fender original 62 pickup in it, like the guy above me did. it really does sound great now and it's very comfortable to play. i didnt like the stock pickup, maybe i got a bad one? it was REALLY loud, almost distorting and pretty hard to get a decent tone out of it. all i did was change the pickup and i have very old strings on it and it sounds just like i want it to. couldn;t be happier

7. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I think if some people are bassists that having never done mods, and usually only play squiers and such(like me) they'd be eager to make this as great a bass as they can. For little money also.

8. That sounds pretty good stock. Thanks for all the replies.

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Anyone gota sound clip of their J-Bass? I heard it was like a MIM J....

10. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    My J gets here tomorrow. If no one has posted a clip by then I'll see what I can do.

11. Here's a couple of pics at a recent gig with the Essex. They aren't very good pics of me but the bass looks fine. If I remember correctly, the Essex had a good "thump" that night. The stage was nice and the amp had a nice corner spot. The bass projected really well. Not bad for a $99 stock bass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]