Essex Pricision Pickup problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vince S., Dec 3, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I just recieved my new Essex Precision bass yesterday, and the only problems I have are with the pickups.

The pickups seem to be very quiet; the VU meter on my amp detects NO signal from the bass, and I have to turn the gain and master up high (this is a 300 watt amp) to get a medium volume (but still pretty quiet). When not playing, there is the electronic "buzzing", Im not sure what it is called (humming?). It is very loud, and on my small practice amp, the buzzing is there while playing on the E string, almost drowning out the sound of the E. I tried adjusting the strings, and my bass teacher checked out the truss rod and and string length and said that it was fine. I also moved the pickups higher, but to no result except more "buzzing". However, we couldn't find the source of the problem for the pickups.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? I want to see if if there is anything I can do before I take it in to a professional.

Thanks a lot.
  2. open it up and look at the wiring and check if something is loose.

To me it sounds like they wired the lead and ground wires the wrong way...
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My pickups in my essex P are semi quiet, not a lot, just quiet compared to my active hohner (duh), but the buzzing i had, so i turned the Tone kknob down to about 2-3, and it went away.
  4. If you bought it NEW from Rondo, maybe you should e-mail or call them and discuss the problem. I'm sure they'll make it right. I would certainly do that before trying to fix it yourself (if you don't know what you're doing...and it seems you don't) or spending money to have it repaired when you just got it.
  5. if its a faulty pup...internal windings etc...a simple replacement should cure this...
    you can negate any guarantees if you tamper???
    its a swine i know but you do get bad products from the best of manufacturers:)