Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essex project finished!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Dec 23, 2003.

1. so , finaly, after like, a month, im finished modifying my essex. i replaced all the wiring and pups with vintage stuff. replaced the pickgaurd. and viola. :D it took me so long, b/c i havnt soldered anything for 2 years. i had to get back in tune with my nerd self.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    pics?

3. About to ask the same thing:)

4. sry, i could have sworn i put a link up
    here ya go

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Man, that looks great! If you don't mind me asking how much do you have invested in your project? Was the pickguard a direct fit?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whered you get the pickguard. Essex is out of black ones.

7. well, funny story. i bought one from basspartsresource.com when i put it on, i figured out that it didnt fit too well. at all. so i took an air grinder, grinded it down a bit. drilled new holes in the body. and thats about it. worked fine.
    o and the total money invested, including strings, body, pups, ash trays, wiring, bridge, knobs, and the bass itself was about 300$ plus about 8 hours of manwork. mostly me burning myself with a soldering iron:D

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Looks good! I've been thinking about doing the same thing with a lefty Essex-P. What pickups did you use? Did you have to do any drilling/scraping other than the pickguard?

9. Good job! You should be proud of your work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah man, you did a great Job with that, Congrats! :)

11. ...Nice mid 70's P-bass you got there...oh wait...it's an Essex! Good job!:D

12. thanks people!:D

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Dude - that looks great man! One of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy an essex jazz to mod.

I probably won't bother wih new electronics because i have a couple of oither jazzes with nice electronics, but I may just add some aesthetic mods.

Who knows - if i find some cheap vintage pickups, I'll probably spring for 'em.

14. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yeah, yeah, sure you are. ;)

Merry Christmas, J.

Glenn D.

15. good job dude...you have a NOS vintage Essex! lol!

16. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    cool bass but better than that YAHHHH another naptown talkbasser, were taking over guys.