1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essex Refinish Project w/pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crkempton, Jan 7, 2008.

1. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Well, after recieving my vintage yellow jazz on friday, i decided to do a bit of modding. First i dropped in a Gotoh 201 Bridge, but after examining the color, i figured i'd like a natural finish jazz better.

Before...

P1040041.gif

The process

DSCN0002-2.gif

DSCN0004-3.gif

And after (not the fanciest grain in the world but i dig it)

P1060044.gif

P1060045.gif

It took more work then i anticipated, but i'm very happy with the results. I used Citristrip to lift the paint, and it didn't seem to work very well. It would soften the paint slightly, but i still had to scrape really hard in order to get anywhere. :bassist: -Cody

2. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    Wow, that is nice, great work!:hyper:

3. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Thanks! I quess it's not "technically" a refinish.. i pretty much stripped it down to the clear sealer and buffed it smooth. Turned out great, i had originally planned to sand it down to bare wood and stain it, but when i saw the color..... i thought that looks pretty darn good! Thanks again -Cody

4. Good job. Just a few questions: (1) Did you put anything on the body after removing the paint? and(1) Was the Gotoh 201 a drop-in replacement, using the same SX bridge screw holes?

Thanks.

5. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    1) No just smoothed out the clear sealer that was already on the body

2) Yup, it fit perfectly... no extra drilling needed

6. Thanks CRKEMPTON. It looks good, probably feels good too.

7. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    not a prob

8. Nice work mate! The final product looks great!

9. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Actually is a very nice piece of wood under that original finish.... always wondered about that (thought there might be some really nasty planks in some of the painted bodies).

I bought one of their "natural" ash jazz basses, and even though this one's alder (I think) it's got a really nice grain to it, looks nice in natural. And it really opens up some nice pickguard possibilities for you. Nice job.

Dave

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool! Your hard work payed off its a little bit more custom since you did it yourself.

11. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    How'd you go about doing this? You end up using something in place of the Citristrip? I've got a nasty orange SX I've been thinking about stripping to the seal like you..and I'd like to check out what tools you used to get this done.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you don't put on clear lacquer or something else that seals the pores on the wood, it will discolor through handling and become dark appearing where it's handled. I'd suggest pulling it back apart ASAP and getting a clear sealer coat on it. Unsealed wood gets dirty, and if you stripped it, there isn't any "clear sealer that was already on the body" left.

You can also go for an oil finish to seal it, although over time it has a tendency to darken from handling.

13. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    the citristrip paint stripper i used was real mild, and didn't strip the sealer. The body is DEFINITELY not down to the bare wood. I still can see a clear layer over the wood. Thanks for the tip though. -Cody

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice job. Makes me appreciate my lil SX even more.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And now that it's natural with maple, it needs a black pickguard. :hyper:

16. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    alright... alright... you convinced me. The black PG just arrived this morning. Looks pretty good if i do say so myself. :smug:

P1150002.gif

:cool:

17. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Did you get the black pickguard from rondo?

18. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Yeah, i just emailed kurt.

19. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    man that thing looks bad ass. the black pg really sets it off. if you're gonna get rid of the pickup covers i'd be interested.

20. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    i really don't have a need for them... :meh: make me an offer.:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021