Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex replacement truss rod nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phillm47, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Anyone ever replace the truss rod nut on an Essex? Where did you find one that worked? I contacted Kurt at Rondo, but he does not have them available.

No problems yet, but mine has some rounding in the corners of the hex opening. I want to replace it before it gets worse.

Any ideas?

2. Rounding of the corners suggests that you're using the wrong size tool to make your adjustments.

3. Correction: corner rounding suggest SOMEONE has used the wrong size tool (non-metric) to adjust the neck relief.

I would like to replace it. Anyone?

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ask Hambone.

He's taken apart one of the P necks before; he may know.

5. Sorry about that! Have you checked Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com) ?

6. ahhh, don't sweat it.......

I have the Stew-Mac catalog at home. Haven't removed the nut to see what the thread size is where it mounts to the truss rod.

I was hopeing someone has been down this road before me.

7. I've got one of these trussrods out of the neck at the moment and I'll have to see what the deal is with the nut. The thing I would be concerned with is the threads on the rod itself - if they are metric you are going to have some trouble...

...unless I make you one or something! :D

8. Bad news guys...The truss rod nut on the Essex is metric - 6mm x 1.0.

The SAE equivalent would be 1/4-20 but they are NOT the same so don't try to thread one on.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Me thinks it would cost less to replace the bass. :)

10. why can't you just buy a metric one?