Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essex SJB-75C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jmann, May 6, 2005.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    It came today. All I can say is wow. This bass is great, and plays better than any MIM jazz Ive played, and it beats most of the MIA jazzes Ive played. It plays like butter and i got it for less than 2 bills.

Why cant Fender make basses of this quality for the price?

Attached Files:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They don't need to. Fender is a trusted name, who the hell is SX? Really. This is the way the public sees it, and because of this Fender can put out the quality they do, charge the price they do and still sell buttloads.

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    How much does that bass weigh? I've got the same one, but with pearl blocks, and it is the heaviest bass I've ever played.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, Ash is a heavier/denser wood, so uh, its bound to be heavy.

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    about 1000 lbs... feels like it anyway and its heaver than my thumb.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Heavier than your thumb? How big are your thumbs? Dang! ;)

Seriously though, to be heavier than a Warwick is no easy feat. I've played the fretless version. Tone shaping was too great, but never really felt the weight. I was sitting down.

-Eric.

7. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Compared to my MIM Ash Jazz, it's double the weight.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I want one of these, but am waiting until the Three-Tone-Sunburst becomes available first.

Dave, is this percieved weight while playing as in, "Wow, this must weigh twice as much!" or is your MIM really half as light?

9. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you have the older Brice version? It was tres heavy.

Glenn D.

10. i have that bass too, plays great doesn't it? the remarks about the weight are right though, i weighed mine in at a little over 12 pounds...

11. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    It's the Essex version, I dig the bass, it just kills to wear it for a long set. Little exaggeration about double, although I'd say it weighs about a 1/3 less.

12. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I just discovered that the bridge pup is not working... if i turn the neck pup all the way down and trun the bridge pot it just scratches... I really dont want to send it back and i planned on replacing the pups anyway...

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i love mine, but the pups do suck, and the pots suck....

nothing a set of used seymore duncans and 15$ worth of pots cant fix.

that makes 210 bucks for a bass 10 times as good as any mexican fender.

14. I've been thinking about checking one of those out just for giggles. I've got a set of DiMarzio P/J's that came out of my '79 Ibanez Roadster that I could probably slap in there with a little routing. They are great pickups and would make it sound better, I'm sure.

Jmann - Paintsville!!!! My grandparents live in Pikeville!!! Small world.

15. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
  16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its a really good setup...which I need to try sometime.