ESSEX: somewhat off-topic/somewhat not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Jan 31, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Well i think I'm going to give Essex a try after reading about them here on TB. I am looking for a fretless, more so out of want than need. So i think I'm going to order an Essex over the weekend. I have not narrowed down which model I want. Any input/experience would be appreciated.

I was looking at and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the pedal case listed there. Obviously the price is right, but has anyone used these on stage and will they hold up?

Also, what I'm really curious about, has anyone bought any of the guitars? Do you think the reaction to those would be as enthusiastic as the reaction here on TB to the Essex basses?

Also- how do I get matching headstock colors that I saw pictures of? (not on the website but on the "pics of rondo music thread here on TB)

Thanks for any help...
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You're welcome.
  3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    nino - thanks for the reply.

but i was wondering about regular guitars - not bass guitars. i have read plenty about the basses, just wondering if the guitars are as good as the basses. (i play some guitar in addition to bass - but not enough to join a board)
  4. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I picked up an Essex guitar there..a Gibson LP copy, floor model, for $69 (Harmony brand).

I adjusted the neck, bridge, pup height, filed the fret edges a little, oiled the fretboard, and re-strung w light strings.
    Plays like butter and sounds good thru my old bass amp and fx pedals.

If you can tinker, these are fun "why not?" guitars.

5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the tele copy (came out Nov/Dec-antique white). I am not a guitar expert since I have played bass for 15 years and guitar for my use is not the same as someone looking for a primary, but I think the quality is great. It's very playable, has a great "twang" and for $109 it makes it real hard to expect the same thing from it as say a Fender which is 5x more.

I'm convinced they do a nice job of putting out a quality instrument at a more than competitive price.
  6. Arlech

Dec 19, 2002
    The Essex guitars (at least on other forums I visit) don't seem to get as many glowing comments as the basses. But generally, they're considered good "bang-for-the-buck" backup and/or good project guitars for modding. But for electrics, you may want to consider the Agile guitars at Rondo Music, versus Essex. Kurt himself seems to come across as more enthusiastic about the overall quality of Agile guitars (particularly the LP copies), and I've read a number of glowing comments about Agile guitars on other forums. I'd give them a look.