1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essex (SX) neck profile question (not a general one)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Oct 2, 2008.

1. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Ok, I am no expert when it comes to SX necks, but I know there are people here who purchased some and know about them.

So, sometime ago I got an essex rosewood pearloid inlay maple neck. It was almost as thick as a P neck, so I ended up selling the bass that I put that neck on. Anyway, I had a store credit type of deal with Rondo and got 3 more of the exact same neck, because they were selling it very cheap at the time. I like building basses from parts, so I thought they can be nice to have around for the future P bass projects. Now the really interesting part is, those 3 necks was actually thinner than Fender Jazz necks, almost as thin as mighty mite.

Enough for the introduction, has anyone purchased this exact neck from them? http://www.rondomusic.com/product856.html

If so, what can you say about the profile and contour? I want a maple block inlay neck for a project and don't feel like spending $200+ for an allparts neck. If it doesn't turn out to be what I want, I think I am just gonna go with a MM maple neck.

2. I actually just put one on my project bass for a GTG.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469326

It's exactly the same as the maple bound & blocked neck I have on my Geddy clone - which is definitely not thinner than a real Fender jazz neck. It's not massive, but it's definitely a little chunkier - which is fine with me, I like thicker necks.

I'll take some detailed pics tomorrow if I get the chance, if you don't have a better answer by then.

3. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Thanks for the info, I believe I heard enough, no need for pics. I am gonna go with the sx neck, to be put on a MIA body :) Geddy Lee Jazz felt chunkier, but comfortable while I was trying it at the store. If it is anything like it, I have no problem with it being thicker either.