1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

essex SX SPJ-62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ok first of all, i kno theres a gigantic megathread on essex, and i did read it all, but it didnt have what im lookin for.
    i want to kno more bout the SX SPJ-62 sound or tone or whatever. does it sound more like a p-bass or a jazz bass?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I assuming it sounds most like a P/J ;)

Sorry to be sound like a smartass, but that's probably what you'll find to be the case. Most people will tell you a P/J doesn't sound like a P-bass or a Jazz bass, but that it creates its own unique tone.

3. Well I bought a SX PJ and I loved it.

With the P-pickup dominant it sounds exactly like a p-bass. With the J-pup dominant it sounds like a jazz with the bridge pup solo'd. With them combined you get some punch but, so it seems to me, a lot more mid-range tone.

It's pretty versatile. Frankly I'm thinking of ordering another one today for the office. I like to play during lunchtime and it'll be easier to deal with if I just leave the thing here.

ed