Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essex SX SPJ-62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ok first of all, i kno theres a gigantic megathread on essex, and i did read it all, but it didnt have what im lookin for.
    i want to kno more bout the SX SPJ-62 sound or tone or whatever. does it sound more like a p-bass or a jazz bass?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I assuming it sounds most like a P/J ;)

Sorry to be sound like a smartass, but that's probably what you'll find to be the case. Most people will tell you a P/J doesn't sound like a P-bass or a Jazz bass, but that it creates its own unique tone.

3. Well I bought a SX PJ and I loved it.

With the P-pickup dominant it sounds exactly like a p-bass. With the J-pup dominant it sounds like a jazz with the bridge pup solo'd. With them combined you get some punch but, so it seems to me, a lot more mid-range tone.

It's pretty versatile. Frankly I'm thinking of ordering another one today for the office. I like to play during lunchtime and it'll be easier to deal with if I just leave the thing here.

ed