1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Essex(SX)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therev, Aug 23, 2012.

1. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I have read all the threads on here about how good SX is for the money. Yet there is a guy I subscribe to on youtube who says that Sx is trash. He says the bridges are not put on correctly, the nuts are miscut, and the electronics are wired wrong, etc, etc. I still want an sx jazz bass but don't want to get a piece of trash.

are they reeally trash or is this guys opinion trash?

2. This guy is full of it. Yes, they are not perfect, but they are usable, serviceable basses. They might (or might not) need a little work to bring them up to snuff, but it's really not a big deal.
    And Rondo's returns policy is amongst the best around, if for any reason you don't like what they send you, they will exchange it free of charge, and the pay the shipping, and will do that until you get one that pleases you.
    All I can tell you on my part, is I bought an SX Ursa 1 p-bass, and it was a really nice bass right out of the box, didn't even really need a setup. None of wht he calaimed is wrong with them was true about this bass. The only real problem was one high fret, but that was easy fixed with a couple of light taps with a hammer.Y ou could see where they did indeed cut costs, but, those cutbacks were not things that affected the sound and playability.
    They are also a great basic and cheap platform for mods.

This guy sounds like one of those typical yahoos that had one bad experience with an SX and is judging the entire company on that one bad experience. Ignore him.

3. SX basses are tons of fun if you like tweaking or modding your gear.

The wood they use for the neck and body are good, and that's usually the only original parts I'll let remain on a bass. Personalize the rest!

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The SX is a cheap Chinese bass ... It is worth the selling price ... not a great bass in any way but not trash either ...

Also Ugly headstocks!!!

Here's my favorite SX bass. I had to replace the neck and electronics ... both were defective ...

sxmm02.

5. :rollno:

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Older SX basses had different headstocks and are considered more desirable overall. Check the classifieds for those. They sometimes pop up, but a lot of folks are holding on to them. I love my SX '75 Jazz Bass. I replaced the bridge and did some work to the nut, threw some Sadowsky Blue Label nickels on it, and run it through a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp. It SINGS and nails the '70s Jazz tone so close no one can really tell it's a 'clone' bass.

7. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Ya the older headstocks were nice looking ...

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Oh sure, SX are cheap Chinese crap and then you put up that picture of your SX-stingray bass again for us all to have a GAS attack over! I notice it's old headstock.

I am SO dying to have one like that!

And you forgot to mention that with SX you get real honest-to-God tonewood like Ash or Alder with a nice maple neck. I've never had a SX with a bad (as in twisted or ski-jump) neck. Frets sometimes need leveling. AND if you get lucky (as you obviously did) you get wood grain to die for.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I bought my son an SX short scale P two years ago for Christmas, and it showed up perfectly set up and plays great. No issues at all. Haven't had to adjust the truss rod even once. Great little bass for the money.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    SX are great for the money! I have a '75 Jazz copy and it is a great playing and sounding bass period. The hardware is perfectly functional though maybe a little on the light side. The only mod I did was put Dimarzio J pup in the neck position. Seriously it's the best playing " Fender" I own. The value in a SX bass lies in the wood they use. They are fine right out of the box or mod the snot out of it. SX75J005.

11. SX's are a lot of fun if you like to tinker or don't mind spending a couple
    exra dollors getting set up right. When I say set upp I mean beyond the
    norm. Ihave an SX '62 Jazz and it needed some fret work and a neck shim.

Yes they are cool basses for the money "IF" you get a good one. Unfortunately
    SX's are hit and miss. You may get a great one or you may not. When you pay
    so little you really can't expect to much.

A lot of folks will tell you that these are great first instruments. I disagree
    and in my experience have found Squiers to be a better option for a first.
    True the woods SX use are better than Squiers but the hardware is not. The
    QC on SX is not the best either.

All that being said I love my SX and yes I like to tinker.

CIMG4059-1.

SXSJB62.

12. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I bought a 30" fretless not too long ago. I think it was a great buy, and probably get a 32" fretted jazz before long. Even if you end up replacing every part but the body, you'll still only spend about what you pay for a MIM. They have a great variety and you can find things that other brands won't touch. Like 30" fretless, 30" 6 string basses designed for BEADGC, and 32 scale basses. IMO the headstocks are just fine, I like them better now.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I have an older SX bass (Traditional Series) bought it in 2001. After a good setup and some fretwork it became a serviceable and gigable bass. I have a 75 JB copy and it sounds good. Everywhere I take it guys want to play it. They are however hit or miss. I happened to get a good one. I am in the process of converting it to fretless. For what they cost and what you could end up with the money spent to value ratio is one of the best there is. Some guys are more particular about their gear and what they play on. I for one do not care that much as long as it sounds good. If you don;t like what you get you can always send it back. You will however have to invest in a good setup, and maybe some fretwork but they are not bad basses for what you pay for them

14. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    bet that guy's a brand name snob.

i love sx's. imho better than squiers.

15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I have owned four SX basses and a guitar. My daughter and nephew each have an SX guitar. My main gigging bass is a modded SX jazz. Other than having to replace the pickup selector switch after about a year on my guitar I have never had an issue with an SX instrument. Yes there can be duds, but that can be said of any inexpensively mass produced item. IMO they are still the best value out there for guitar and bass.

16. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    The customer service you get from Kurt is awesome.

17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

Ya the SX-Stingray was discontinued ... bummer ...

I have owned 6 or 7 SX basses ... they all needed work on the frets, some had curved necks, the electronics and hardware was cheap and the wood not optimal for tone ... but if you like to work on basses they are fun to own.

18. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    What the.....that's an SX bass? NICE!!!

19. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I think I m going to get me an SX jazz bass soon. I 'm not a fan of fender basses at all. So If I don't like this bass then I am not out the bucks i would be shelling out for a MIM fender jazz. it makes more sense to get an SX.

20. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    The only real problem I have with a stock sx is the nut.... The guy is right on that one... The nut is oddly spaced.... There's too much space between the d and g string. Otherwise you get a lot of bass for $100.

The quality is near squier classic vibe.