1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essex vs. Mighty Mite necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewfunk, Dec 23, 2011.

1. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Has anyone had a chance to compare the quality of the two? Rondo has the old headstock style necks back in stock and i was thinking of ordering one for a frankenbass i'm putting together with an old stripped/re-routed squier jazz body. The Rondo neck is half the price of an MM, but is it half the quality? If i was to buy a neck for one of my nicer basses i would go for the MM, but this is a cheap parts bass.
    Also, will the SX need some routing to make work in a squier body? I dont mind if it does, the body is beat on anyway. Thanks!

2. Blackmag+c

Blackmag+c

Feb 1, 2007
    This is something I am also interested in, because I am planning a second parts bass. Also, what is the deal with the parts? Are they random as to what is in stock? Cus at the moment they only seem to have lefty 5 string necks...which doesn't really help me personally....

My last partsbass was a MM neck, but I found the finish was almost non-existant...

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes they are random. Well, some things (necks) seem random as Kurt sporadically acquires them from who knows where. Usually all the parts builders scarf them up quickly. Some other things (ash trays) always seem to be in stock.

The deal with SX necks: Do you like the feel? I sure do. So to me they are what I want. But be aware unlike say a MightyMite, it's very likely it will need some work. Fret leveling, sharp edges filed etc. But you didn't pay so much either. My last neck was an old headstock fretless. Didn't work out so well because it had block inlays that were sort of bumpy and messed with the fretless sound. Still one VERY nice looking neck. So it's now raw materials for the installation of a real Ebony fingerboard. Does that sort of give you the idea?

It sort of depends on luck. Some of my SX necks have flamed figuring that is postively booteek. And others ...well you heard the fretless story. So, do you feel lucky?

4. Blackmag+c

Blackmag+c

Feb 1, 2007
    Thank you. I'll wait it out and pull the trigger when something I like comes around! :D