Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Establishing age of Bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingers_Phil, Sep 5, 2004.

1. I am going to be selling my Stingray and would love to know its age (I got it second-hand several years ago) It is an Ernie Ball made, 4-string with only three knobs (volume, bass & treble). It has a serial number on the bridge #35469.
    I have replaced this with a 4-string Warwick FNA Jazzman that I got second-hand on e-bay. This has a serial number of #G (or 6) - 086194 -01. Can anyone help me in establishing which years these guitars were made please?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You have to drill a small core out of the body, then count the growth rings. However many there are, that's how old the bass is in years.

3. Alas, Dendrochronology may establish the wood age ...but the wood may have been feindishly stored for years before being made into a Shiny New Bass. Maybe someone has a simpler solution!

4. Warwick = 2001 and the MM I reckon is around mid 1992, thats without cutting holes and counting rings :)

Tony

5. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    July 2001