Esteban: Did he really study with Segovia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 21, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sorry if this has been posted already before....

I've always thought that he was a rather mediocre flemenco guitarist. I'm not trying to take away anything from his success. If he wants to whore poorly crafted dreadnoughts on QVC and talk about how he just wants to give children the gift of music, then I wish him the best. Still, a friend sent me this article, and I found it interesting.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thoughts...Esteban found a way to make himself famous and rich. He's a good guitarist, not great. His detractors seem to have an axe to grind. Yes, he invokes Segovia's name way too much, but in the end, he's not hurting anyone.
  3. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
  4. Esteban might be a less-than-spectacular flamenco guitarist. He might be peddling lousy guitars on QVC. He might even invoke Segovia's name too much.

but the good news...the dude just saved a bunch of money on his car insurance by switching to Geico!!
  5. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    beat me to it :bawl:
  6. thats a funny commercial...

but as for segovia, I've already heard what the newspaper said...What i heard is that he once went to get segovia's autograph, and he wrote "To steven, who loves to play as much as i do" or something to that matter, and apparently that was his go-ahead to say that he studied under him...personally i don't really believe it, but in reality, he makes a lot of money, i've seen him on QVC, and he still does have talent if you ask me.
    i do laugh at his package deal, they give you a 25 piece accessory kit, and 6 of the pieces are the 6 strings, which i found kinda funny...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats Beautiful Brother ! ;) :D
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, since Segovia was a classical guitarist, and Esteban is supposedly a flamenco guitarist, I doubt it.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Esteban is on my friends list on myspace
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If that's all it takes to say he studied with Segovia, then do the puny few* lessons I managed to take from Chuck Rainey make me, like his disciple?

*And puny few is not an exaggeration. I think I totaled, something like a dozen lessons with him. I'm sure it was less than twenty. I'm pretty sure it was more than ten. Twelve-ish sounds about right. So, am I the "Disciple of Chuck"?
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know someone who had a 5 minute "lesson" with Doc Severinson and from that point on said he "studied with" him.

I guess it's true, sort of...
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've seen Geddy Lee perform live and watched him do a weird bunny hop thing across the stage and thus I am his disciple.
  13. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    While I never took lessons w/ the great Chuck Rainey, I learned Reverend Lee, (by Roberta Flack on her second record for Atlantic "Chapter Two"), that bass line alone makes me a disciple, so you're a disciple 12 fold in my book.

14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay that's decided. I am founding a religion for bassplayers. We can all be "Disciples of Chuck."

I'll start working on the tenets of our faith this weekend when I get off of work. But I'm pretty sure our high holy days will include the birthdays of Becker and Fagen. We'll have to set aside money for GAS as a tithing behavior. Hmmmm I'll have to think about this.
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I own Aja by Steely Dan. Does that make me a Disiciple of Chuck Rainey too?
  16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I only listen to Esteban while gazing at my Thomas Kinkaid paintings and fondling my Hummel figurines. The guy found a market, and, like all good capitalists, is exploiting it. His critics, more than likely, make a career out of saying "why didn't I think of that?"