1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Esteemed TB'ers help me choose a new 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzychaos, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    After the Peavey GV I have in the TB Classifieds sells, I plan on getting a replacement four string. My current 4's are a Highway One Jazz and an SSD NS-94, so I am wanting something to compliment them and have enough of a tonal variation to necessitate getting it. Want to keep it less that $1200 used. I play all kinds of stuff. My top three choices in my mind are:

1. Peavey US Cirrus - The GV had a Cirrus like tone, so this would be almost a direct replacement. Made in the USA is a plus.

2. Lakland 44-02 - I played around with a 55-02 and really like the tonal variation and feel, just didn't like that 5th string :)

3. Spector Rebop 4 - I really love the way the NS-94 feels, maybe the best feeling bass I have ever had, plus I do like the EMG's.

Help and suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated.

2. Why sell the gv

3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    It's a 5 string, I am only comfortable on 4's

4. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Of the three you listed, I'd suggest the Lakland. Very cool contemporary basses.

However, might I suggest a Fender American Standard P bass and a set of LaBella flats? It looks like most of your current stable leans toward the bright/modern end of the spectrum. It might be nice to have one bass that's got the old-school, 50s/60s vibe.

If you're in to that, of course!

5. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Happy Rebop owner here, suggesting that if you like the SSD NS-94 then go for it ;)

6. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    That might not be a bad idea, but, since I would not use that tone often, I figure I can always get a nice CV P with flats later though.

7. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok I am a newbie to bass so I can't give you all the technical jargon etc. but I have a bass that I love. It runs from $900-$1000 depending on whether you get the white or burst design. I suggest checking out the Godin Shifter made in Canada. I love it and it has a wonderful neck and the "shifter switch" allows you to switch between 6 different preset sounds. It has 3 pasive pick-ups and the sounds can range from a P bass or Jbass sound to a Rickenbacher. It's so convenient to be able to reach down and quickly switch between sounds with the flick of a switch. My teacher who is a pro loves it. Anyway, I say check it out and it's very versatile.

8. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I did check out a Godin at a local shop and was pretty cool. Not sure if it's my thing, but definitely interesting.

9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I, personally speaking, hate the look of the Shifter. But they are great sounding basses! And lots of other folks like the looks so there ya go...

10. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well it is basically a Fender design so I guess to each his own. I like my Burst style and love the way it plays and feels

Attached Files:

11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's not really the shape of the instrument as much as the angled bridge pickup that turns me off.

12. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a really good deal pending on a USA Cirrus, but also found a really nice Warwick $$ (not rockbass) that I am thinking about.

13. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Of those I have only owned a Rebop which was a pretty awesome bass. It definitely nailed the spector sound. It was all so the only bass I ever had that had some pretty rough fret edges (easy fix though). I have played a 55-02 before and though that was a great bass. I almost bought it but was able to calm my gas when I remembered I would be living on water and crackers for a few months. I have no experience with peavey basses so I can't comment on them. I would take the lakland because tonally it's my style. The Rebop is nice but too hi-fi/modern/mid-scooped sounding for my tastes now. I see have are considering more basses as well.
    Sounds like you need to play as many basses by as many companies as possible and find what speaks to you the best.